Long-Unused Courtyard to Finally Reopen as a Community Space
Annie Hubert, Guest Writer • April 13, 2024

Riddled with cracked cement and overgrown weeds, the courtyard that lies between Grewen and Reilly halls has been left untouched by the Le Moyne...

‘It Felt Like a Gift From God’: Le Moyne Students and Surrounding Community React to Eclipse
CMM-274 Class, Guest Writers • April 11, 2024

Amanda Wood started her day off in a taciturn mood at Le Moyne College, underwhelmed by all the talk of the big event. Monday was just any other...

Le Moyne College Responds to Surge in Campus Car Break-ins
La Quida Cummings, Guest Writer • April 10, 2024

In response to a recent series of car break-ins across campus, Derek McGork, director of Security, used a recent interview with The Dolphin to...

Spotlight: Cellist Jordan Gunns Musical Journey
Spotlight: Cellist Jordan Gunn's Musical Journey
Daniel Mondelli April 9, 2024

This Wednesday, April 10th, Le Moyne will host a performance by cellist Jordan Gunn in the Panasci Family Chapel at 7:30 pm and will be accompanied...

Flags and Acknowledgements: Le Moyne Takes Steps Toward Reconciliation with the Haudenosaunee
Isabella Allen and Carly Nicolai April 5, 2024

“We honor the Onondaga Nation, the original people on whose land Le Moyne College stands.” You may have heard this recited at school-sponsored...

Tolkien Reading Day to be Celebrated at Le Moyne

For decades, the Lord of the Rings trilogy has touched millions of readers across the globe. Themes of love, friendship, hope, and courage find their voice within the pages, inspiring and encouraging readers.

To honor the impact of the trilogy, Tolkien Reading Day was founded back in 2002, becoming an annual celebration. This year, for the third time in a row, Le Moyne College’s Panasci Chapel will be the host for Tolkien Reading Day in Syracuse. It will take place in the Drescher Community Room at 1 p.m. on Sunday, March 24th. Parking is available in the adjacent lot.

Sean Kirst, journalist-in-residence at Le Moyne and a columnist for The Buffalo News, is credited for founding the Reading Day, after an inquiry sent 22 years ago to The Tolkien Society. This year, he has again teamed up with local artist John Mariani to coordinate the gathering.

“Tolkien Reading Day in Syracuse, home to the global event, has really become a joyful reunion every year,” Kirst remarked, reflecting on the event. “We’re grateful to Le Moyne for allowing us to host it on campus, and we’re grateful for the chance to again share in the wonder and power of the words of Tolkien.”

The theme for the Reading Day changes every year – this year’s focus is on sacrifice. Selections specifically from “The Fellowship of the Ring” will be read following a generalized discussion of the theme of sacrifice throughout the trilogy.

For those who cannot make the event in person, a Zoom link to the event will be posted on the Syracuse Tolkien Reading Day Facebook page. All are welcome – even those who have never read Tolkien’s work prior. Any lovers of the written word will find the event inspiring, regardless.