Long-Unused Courtyard to Finally Reopen as a Community Space
Annie Hubert, Guest Writer • April 13, 2024

Riddled with cracked cement and overgrown weeds, the courtyard that lies between Grewen and Reilly halls has been left untouched by the Le Moyne...

‘It Felt Like a Gift From God’: Le Moyne Students and Surrounding Community React to Eclipse
CMM-274 Class, Guest Writers • April 11, 2024

Amanda Wood started her day off in a taciturn mood at Le Moyne College, underwhelmed by all the talk of the big event. Monday was just any other...

Le Moyne College Responds to Surge in Campus Car Break-ins
La Quida Cummings, Guest Writer • April 10, 2024

In response to a recent series of car break-ins across campus, Derek McGork, director of Security, used a recent interview with The Dolphin to...

Spotlight: Cellist Jordan Gunns Musical Journey
Spotlight: Cellist Jordan Gunn's Musical Journey
Daniel Mondelli April 9, 2024

This Wednesday, April 10th, Le Moyne will host a performance by cellist Jordan Gunn in the Panasci Family Chapel at 7:30 pm and will be accompanied...

Flags and Acknowledgements: Le Moyne Takes Steps Toward Reconciliation with the Haudenosaunee
Isabella Allen and Carly Nicolai April 5, 2024

“We honor the Onondaga Nation, the original people on whose land Le Moyne College stands.” You may have heard this recited at school-sponsored...

Award Show Snubs: The Grammys, NFL Honors, and the Oscars

Muhammad Lee

We are at the start of award show season, and with any sort of award comes controversy as to whether it was deservingly granted. Or, more importantly, whether someone got snubbed or not. The Grammys were the first of such award shows to occur, and there were a multitude of questionable choices. Along with that, nominations for future award shows have been rolling in and creating disputes.

The Grammys left a multitude of people upset in a wide variety of categories, the first of which was SZA’s album, SOS, for album of the year. This award was granted to the highly-touted and well-renowned  Taylor Swift for her Midnights album. Many argue the fact that SOS stayed atop the Billboard Top 200 chart for 10 weeks despite entering in the arguably less popular genre of R&B compared to Swift’s pop genre. Furthermore, Taylor Swift’s name carries a lot of weight in these decisions, which would have likely put SZA at a further disadvantage. No matter what the decision, there would always have been skeptics wondering if this was the correct decision.

Speaking of Taylor Swift, there were some major snubs in the NFL awards in a year where she has gotten very involved. The NFL’s Offensive Rookie of the Year award (OROY) is one that looks great on a resume and was a tight race this year. CJ Stroud won the award this year, likely for his contribution as the quarterback taking a bottom three team from the previous year with a 3-14-1 record to become the AFC South division champions, as well as the fact he led them to a Wild Card Round victory in the playoffs. Even though playoffs aren’t supposed to be considered, they likely were. However, Puka Nakua arguably got snubbed for this award. As a fifth round draft pick receiver for the Rams, he had little attention after Draft Day but continued to break essentially all rookie receiver records with both receptions and receiving yards records belonging to him now. Many argue that every major award in the NFL is becoming a “quarterback only” award, leaving many other skill position players out to dry.

Award winners aren’t the only ones catching attention during the start of this award season. Many are catching flack for who are gaining nominations to even have the opportunity to win these awards. One such example comes from the highly successful Barbie movie. For the upcoming Academy Awards ceremony, the lead actress Margot Robbie was not nominated for the category of best actress. However, Ryan Gosling was nominated for the category of best supporting actor. Many find it ironic that a movie about exposing a patriarchy only has the male actor nominated for this prestigious award. 

There is no way to make everyone happy when it comes to awards. There will always be those who feel like their favorite choice was snubbed and those celebrating a great decision made on the other end. This is only the beginning of what will surely be an entertaining awards season if precedence has anything to show for it. All anyone can do is sit back and enjoy as everything unfolds, then scrutinize every decision.