Long-Unused Courtyard to Finally Reopen as a Community Space
Annie Hubert, Guest Writer • April 13, 2024

Riddled with cracked cement and overgrown weeds, the courtyard that lies between Grewen and Reilly halls has been left untouched by the Le Moyne...

‘It Felt Like a Gift From God’: Le Moyne Students and Surrounding Community React to Eclipse
CMM-274 Class, Guest Writers • April 11, 2024

Amanda Wood started her day off in a taciturn mood at Le Moyne College, underwhelmed by all the talk of the big event. Monday was just any other...

Le Moyne College Responds to Surge in Campus Car Break-ins
La Quida Cummings, Guest Writer • April 10, 2024

In response to a recent series of car break-ins across campus, Derek McGork, director of Security, used a recent interview with The Dolphin to...

Spotlight: Cellist Jordan Gunns Musical Journey
Spotlight: Cellist Jordan Gunn's Musical Journey
Daniel Mondelli April 9, 2024

This Wednesday, April 10th, Le Moyne will host a performance by cellist Jordan Gunn in the Panasci Family Chapel at 7:30 pm and will be accompanied...

Flags and Acknowledgements: Le Moyne Takes Steps Toward Reconciliation with the Haudenosaunee
Isabella Allen and Carly Nicolai April 5, 2024

“We honor the Onondaga Nation, the original people on whose land Le Moyne College stands.” You may have heard this recited at school-sponsored...

Dolphins Stepping Up: The Division I Transition in Women’s Basketball

Lytoya Baker, courtesy of Le Moyne College athletics

The Le Moyne College women’s basketball team, whose final Northeast-10 home game is against St. Francis at 2 p.m. Saturday, has done surprisingly well for its first season in a Division I conference.

The Dolphins are 10-13, going up against some very well-known schools such as the University of Southern California, Boston University, and Princeton University.

Head Coach Mary Grimes has taken a strong initiative this season, along with several assistant coaches including Joanna Dobrovosky, Katie Kolinski, Terence Mannion and Emma MacDonough.

Facing new teams in a new conference and everything in between, players and coaches have spoken to The Dolphin about the recent changes to DI and how it has impacted their season.

Grimes shared her thoughts, stating: “No matter the division the standard was the same. That mindset was what I instilled when I got the job, so we still do the same things we did before because & ‘basketball is basketball.'”

“Things are all ‘new.’ The gyms we go to most of the players (and me) have not been to before. So the competition has been similar because I believe we competed in a tough Division II conference but there are some other intricacies like playing at 7 p.m., and not having doubleheaders with our men’s team that have been different.”

A fifth-year player, Lytoya Baker, also shared her personal opinions about the current season: “A lot of people counted us out early because we were a DII team,” Baker states, “but now I feel like we earned a spot at the DI level.”

The team is currently in second place for the conference and “looking pretty good,” and Baker shares that she and her teammates have a good shot at winning the whole thing in the conference tournament.

The Dolphins are up next against Wagner College on the road tonight – Thursday, Feb. 29 – before coming home for Saturday’s game.