Navigating College Stress: Effective Strategies and Le Moyne Resources for Student Well-being
Mai Aljanabi, Staff Writer • September 27, 2023

College life presents unique challenges and stressors for students, impacting their mental well-being and overall success. This article delves...

via The Huntington
Persistence Into Brilliance: Le Moyne Graduate and Actor Makes Major Mark
Kamilla Shahzad, Staff Writer • September 26, 2023

In the world of theater, Le Moyne College graduate John Douglas Thompson is known to possess an exceptional ability to captivate audiences, effortlessly...

via newbaseballmedia.com
Le Moyne Alum and MLB Star Josiah Gray Nominated for Roberto Clemente Award
Michael Scalise, Staff Writer • September 25, 2023

Here at Le Moyne, the phrase “Greatness meets Goodness” is at the very foundation by which the school stands, and it is safe to say that...

Career Advising & Development at Le Moyne
Carly Nicolai, Editor in Chief • September 18, 2023

“What do you want to do with your degree?” It’s a question many college students have heard before, whether it comes from friends and...

Growing Sunshine-Colored Flowers: Remembering Father Bosch
Stephanie R. Duscher, Staff Writer • September 16, 2023

Many Le Moyne students have likely walked by the lovely gardens outside the Jesuit Residence–a beautiful touch of color amidst the many cloudy...

Many Le Moyne students have likely walked by the lovely gardens outside the Jesuit Residence–a beautiful touch of color amidst the many cloudy days Syracuse likes to send our way. 

Reverend William J. Bosch is responsible for creating and caring for those gardens, although this seems to be a little-known fact among students. This is just on par for Father Bosch, as he was not known to talk about his countless contributions to our campus community. 

“He was so unassuming and did not brag about his accomplishments,” Christina Swendsrud, the history librarian and archivist at Noreen Falcone Library, says. “You wouldn’t know about them unless someone else told you about them.” 

Christina started working closely with Fr. Bosch in April 2022, when he began to mentor her in taking over for the Le Moyne archives. Fr. Bosch’s archive work remains one of his biggest contributions to our Le Moyne community. Christina states he “single-handedly gathered, documented, and organized all of the archive’s history.” She also adds that this was “his third, maybe fourth career at that point.”

Professor Frank Ridzi was also well acquainted with Fr. Bosch, who acted as his history professor before becoming his colleague later. Professor Ridzi describes Fr. Bosch as an “animated professor” who “wanted every student to enjoy it as much as he did.” 

As a next-door neighbor in the dorms, Ridzi says Fr. Bosch stopped by to make people feel welcome, often saying “hello” or “inviting anyone to come in and chat about anything.” Ridzi also speaks of Fr. Bosch’s work as an archivist and states that he “helped others see the importance of keeping in touch with our heritage while looking toward the future.” He taught him that “nothing is trash” and anything can have important historical relevance.

Aside from his work in the archives and connecting with students as a professor, Fr. Bosch also served as the moderator of International House for thirty years. According to his obituary, International House was a “student organization, community, and campus center for reflection, study and service.” When Fr. Bosch took over as moderator in 1966, he shifted the organization’s focus to the local Syracuse area, where they organized and picketed on behalf of United Farm Workers, protested the Vietnam War, and tutored inner city youth. All of this work not only speaks to how much Fr. Bosch cared about our community, but also how much he was willing to work to make it a better place. 

“He was a kind soul, and someone who really puts others as a top priority,” Professor Ridzi says. 

From large, sweeping actions like bettering the Syracuse area to beautifying all corners of Le Moyne’s campus, Fr. Bosch’s biggest legacy is his kindness. It can be seen in the inevitable smile that slips onto someone’s mouth as they speak about their memories of him, or in the sunshine-colored flowers that bloom in front of the Jesuit Residence.