The Unlikely Journey that Led to Jenicah Brown’s Historic Goal
Stephen Riale, Guest Writer • February 26, 2024

“I think that every athlete at one point or another dreams of playing at the Division 1 level,” Le Moyne College women’s soccer star Jenicah...

Coach Liz Beville, courtesy of Greg Wall, Le Moyne Athletics
Lacrosse Progams Zero in on D-I Challenge
Stephen Moore and Aidan Clark February 26, 2024

With the inaugural Division I season approaching for Le Moyne College’s lacrosse program, the Dolphins look to make waves at the D-I level...

The Dolphin Goes Offline: Copyright Issues Force Paper to Remove Majority of Articles
Isabella Allen, Staff Writer • February 26, 2024

The Dolphin has been a staple of Le Moyne college for many years, giving journalism students an avenue to learn and practice news writing before...

photo courtesy of I Love NY
Le Moyne Events Shaping for Eclipse
Aidan Mingoia and Legende McGrath February 26, 2024

Le Moyne College, in preparation for the once-in-a-lifetime celestial event that will occur in just over a month, will be hosting a myriad of...

Award Show Snubs: The Grammys, NFL Honors, and the Oscars
Michael Scalise, Staff Writer • February 24, 2024

We are at the start of award show season, and with any sort of award comes controversy as to whether it was deservingly granted. Or, more importantly,...

From First Baskets to Lasting Legacies: My Journey to Le Moyne’s Historic D1 Debut

Jones+at+a+game+versus+SUNY+Fredonia+
Le Moyne College Athletic Department
Jones at a game versus SUNY Fredonia

The Ted Grant Court at Le Moyne College has become my new proving ground, where the squeak of sneakers and the roar of the crowd serve as the backdrop to a story in progress. As Le Moyne embarks on its first season in Division 1, I find myself among a team of determined, gritty athletes, many of us transferring from D1 programs, hungry to make our mark. 

Our recent games against powerhouses like Georgetown and Villanova weren’t just contests; they were our introductions to a larger stage, where we played not just for wins but for respect. Every move we made in these early games had a great deal of meaning. But one moment stood out — the first basket in Le Moyne’s Men’s basketball program’s first Division 1 game against Georgetown, a shot I was honored to make.

Embarking into this new era of basketball for Le Moyne, I really connect with Coach Nate Champion’s vision for the team. Everything I have learned and lived is in line with his view of basketball as a team sport where each player’s role is crucial. I completely support this vision because it reminds me of my days at Oak Hill Academy when the team’s success was more important than any one player’s performance.

My journey to Le Moyne was less of a straight line and more of a series of zigs and zags. After an extremely challenging freshman year at Towson University, marked by a COVID-19 diagnosis with a resulting heart condition that benched me, I was faced with the potential end of my basketball dreams. The path back to the court was filled with tests and doubts, but eventually, I found myself back in the game, but slowly.

My sophomore year still had the scars of a rocky start, and it wasn’t long before I made the tough decision to enter the transfer portal. The landscape of the portal had changed; it was crowded with athletes still holding on to an extra eligibility year granted due to the pandemic. It was a tough task to find a new home that aligned with both my academic and athletic goals.

But fate has a way of steering you where you’re meant to be. In the search for a new beginning, Le Moyne stood out, not just for its athletic program but for the academic support that felt tailored to my learning style. The smaller classrooms, the personal attention from professors — it was a complete departure from the large, impersonal lecture halls I was used to.

Despite an initial academic setback that delayed my eligibility, I worked tirelessly, fueled by the faculty’s and coaching staff’s support and my strong determination to return to the court. 

Looking back, it’s clear how foundational my time at Oak Hill Academy was. Playing under Coach Steve Smith, a figure known for excellence, I learned what it meant to be self-sufficient and to truly play as a team. While playing with future NBA stars, I learned that individual honors were not nearly as important as group victories. That mentality is what I carried with me to Le Moyne, where Coach Champion’s vision feels like a continuation of my Oak Hill Academy basketball experience.

My basketball journey began as a four-year-old with energy to burn, which my parents channeled into the game. As I grew, so did my passion for basketball, which transformed from a mere activity into a central part of my identity. Now, as I lace up for Le Moyne, I carry the lessons of my past—from Oak Hill to Towson to here—each experience layering upon the last to form the player I am today.

Though we didn’t emerge victorious from our matchups against Georgetown and Villanova, we gained something equally valuable—experience and the grit to face future challenges head-on. The Ted Grant court at Le Moyne is more than just a stage for basketball; it’s where I continue to grow, learn, and thrive. Phins Up! The journey doesn’t end; it only evolves.