Many Small Stories Together Form a Le Moyne Tradition: Dolphy Day
CMM-374 Class, Guest Writers • April 28, 2024

LeMoyne College seniors found out Monday evening, from the newly-named “Dolphy Day king,” through an email, that the big day would be Tuesday. Some...

Two Columns: Students Plead for Better Parking Solutions at Le Moyne
La Quida Cummings and Kamilla Shahzad April 26, 2024

Driving Change: Initiatives to Improve Commuter Parking By La Quida Cummings As a commuter student at Le Moyne, navigating the daily challenge...

The Worst Movie Ever Takes the Stage: Plan 9 from Outer Space Opens this Thursday
Carly Nicolai, Editor in Chief • April 22, 2024

Aliens, vampires, and zombies, oh my! All these ghouls will be populating the Jesuit Theater at the PAC this weekend, along with the humans trying...

Column: Restrictive College Housing Rules Need Adjusting
Stephen Moore, Guest Writer • April 22, 2024

Imagine starting college excited that you finally have some sense of freedom, only to discover that you must live all four years of your college...

Column: Dolphy Day Founders None Too Sure About ‘Dolphy Day IPA’
Legende McGrath, Guest Writer • April 22, 2024

Last month, Dolphy Day IPA officially hit the shelves of stores, promoting not only Le Moyne College but also Meier’s Creek Brewing Company....

From First Baskets to Lasting Legacies: My Journey to Le Moyne’s Historic D1 Debut

Jones+at+a+game+versus+SUNY+Fredonia+
Le Moyne College Athletic Department
Jones at a game versus SUNY Fredonia

The Ted Grant Court at Le Moyne College has become my new proving ground, where the squeak of sneakers and the roar of the crowd serve as the backdrop to a story in progress. As Le Moyne embarks on its first season in Division 1, I find myself among a team of determined, gritty athletes, many of us transferring from D1 programs, hungry to make our mark. 

Our recent games against powerhouses like Georgetown and Villanova weren’t just contests; they were our introductions to a larger stage, where we played not just for wins but for respect. Every move we made in these early games had a great deal of meaning. But one moment stood out — the first basket in Le Moyne’s Men’s basketball program’s first Division 1 game against Georgetown, a shot I was honored to make.

Embarking into this new era of basketball for Le Moyne, I really connect with Coach Nate Champion’s vision for the team. Everything I have learned and lived is in line with his view of basketball as a team sport where each player’s role is crucial. I completely support this vision because it reminds me of my days at Oak Hill Academy when the team’s success was more important than any one player’s performance.

My journey to Le Moyne was less of a straight line and more of a series of zigs and zags. After an extremely challenging freshman year at Towson University, marked by a COVID-19 diagnosis with a resulting heart condition that benched me, I was faced with the potential end of my basketball dreams. The path back to the court was filled with tests and doubts, but eventually, I found myself back in the game, but slowly.

My sophomore year still had the scars of a rocky start, and it wasn’t long before I made the tough decision to enter the transfer portal. The landscape of the portal had changed; it was crowded with athletes still holding on to an extra eligibility year granted due to the pandemic. It was a tough task to find a new home that aligned with both my academic and athletic goals.

But fate has a way of steering you where you’re meant to be. In the search for a new beginning, Le Moyne stood out, not just for its athletic program but for the academic support that felt tailored to my learning style. The smaller classrooms, the personal attention from professors — it was a complete departure from the large, impersonal lecture halls I was used to.

Despite an initial academic setback that delayed my eligibility, I worked tirelessly, fueled by the faculty’s and coaching staff’s support and my strong determination to return to the court. 

Looking back, it’s clear how foundational my time at Oak Hill Academy was. Playing under Coach Steve Smith, a figure known for excellence, I learned what it meant to be self-sufficient and to truly play as a team. While playing with future NBA stars, I learned that individual honors were not nearly as important as group victories. That mentality is what I carried with me to Le Moyne, where Coach Champion’s vision feels like a continuation of my Oak Hill Academy basketball experience.

My basketball journey began as a four-year-old with energy to burn, which my parents channeled into the game. As I grew, so did my passion for basketball, which transformed from a mere activity into a central part of my identity. Now, as I lace up for Le Moyne, I carry the lessons of my past—from Oak Hill to Towson to here—each experience layering upon the last to form the player I am today.

Though we didn’t emerge victorious from our matchups against Georgetown and Villanova, we gained something equally valuable—experience and the grit to face future challenges head-on. The Ted Grant court at Le Moyne is more than just a stage for basketball; it’s where I continue to grow, learn, and thrive. Phins Up! The journey doesn’t end; it only evolves.