Commuter Students Offer Opinions on New Faculty Parking Lot
Corinne Becker, News & Features Editor • May 3, 2024

Le Moyne’s Board of Trustees approved the construction of a new parking lot outside of Mitchell Hall during their February meeting. While the...

This years Dolphins Choice Award awardees
‘This Work We Put in Pays Off’: Students Honored at Dolphins Choice Awards

On April 14, Le Moyne’s student leaders were celebrated at the annual Dolphins Choice Awards to commemorate their hard work making campus a...

Fouad Dietz speaking to a journalism class
Transforming Le Moyne: Campus Renovation Plans Unveiled
La Quida Cummings, Guest Writer • May 2, 2024

Le Moyne is embarking on a major transformation through a series of extensive infrastructure projects aimed at modernizing the campus and enhancing...

photo courtesy of Le Moyne
Missing Out: Dolphy Day From the Perspective of a Student Athlete
Nick Nevins, Guest Writer • May 1, 2024

Tuesday, April 23rd was the famous Dolphy Day everyone looks forward to every semester. From a student-athlete’s perspective, I woke up around...

Many Small Stories Together Form a Le Moyne Tradition: Dolphy Day
CMM-374 Class, Guest Writers • April 28, 2024

LeMoyne College seniors found out Monday evening, from the newly-named “Dolphy Day king,” through an email, that the big day would be Tuesday. Some...

Column: Restrictive College Housing Rules Need Adjusting

Imagine starting college excited that you finally have some sense of freedom, only to discover that you must live all four years of your college life on campus. This is the reality for students at Le Moyne College, where this 4-year residency policy has become a source of frustration rather than community spirit which this college is so focused on.

At its core, college is about discovering who you are and where you belong. Yet, Le Moyne’s 4-year residency policy feels like an unnecessary leash, suppressing students’ ability to embrace the full college experience.

For those who don’t know what this 4-year residency policy is, it is a contract that keeps full-time Le Moyne students on campus throughout their undergraduate years. It states “All full-time, matriculated undergraduate students, except those residing with their parents in the Syracuse area, are required to live in College residences. Exceptions to the housing policy may be granted but only in selected situations and as the College’s enrollment at that time allows”

While it may have been implemented with good intentions in perhaps a way to bring a stronger sense of community or in a way to ensure students have the opportunity to be immersed in campus life instead it now feels more like a burden rather than a good implication.

Without financial aid or any scholarships, the current room and board fee at Le Moyne is $16,210, a significant sum that students are expected to pay. So why is there so much harm in moving off-campus at Le Moyne if it is strictly to put yourself in a better financial situation?

A student I know, who prefers to remain anonymous, shared their experience of living off-campus, describing it as “living freely, while also in nice and affordable housing, I’m practically living the dream.” This same student also mentioned the amount that living off-campus saved them which was roughly $5,000-$6,000.

Moreover, it’s not just about the inconvenience of being required to live on campus, it’s about the financial burden this can place on students. For many, living on campus is significantly more expensive than finding off-campus housing alternatives.

Regarding off-campus housing, it is said under the Housing Policy / Requirements section that “Students who move off campus without authorization will be billed for the cost of room and board.”  This punitive measure compounds the financial strain on students seeking more affordable housing options. They may face the cost of rent and the threat of additional charges for breaching campus residency requirements.

Moving forward, it is essential that the administration looks at this policy and reforms it with a focus on balancing the interests of fostering community spirit while respecting students’ financial well-being. By reevaluating this 4-year residency policy, Le Moyne can better support its students in their pursuit of a fulfilling college experience, both academically and personally.