The Unlikely Journey that Led to Jenicah Brown’s Historic Goal
Stephen Riale, Guest Writer • February 26, 2024

“I think that every athlete at one point or another dreams of playing at the Division 1 level,” Le Moyne College women’s soccer star Jenicah...

Coach Liz Beville, courtesy of Greg Wall, Le Moyne Athletics
Lacrosse Progams Zero in on D-I Challenge
Stephen Moore and Aidan Clark February 26, 2024

With the inaugural Division I season approaching for Le Moyne College’s lacrosse program, the Dolphins look to make waves at the D-I level...

The Dolphin Goes Offline: Copyright Issues Force Paper to Remove Majority of Articles
Isabella Allen, Staff Writer • February 26, 2024

The Dolphin has been a staple of Le Moyne college for many years, giving journalism students an avenue to learn and practice news writing before...

photo courtesy of I Love NY
Le Moyne Events Shaping for Eclipse
Aidan Mingoia and Legende McGrath February 26, 2024

Le Moyne College, in preparation for the once-in-a-lifetime celestial event that will occur in just over a month, will be hosting a myriad of...

Award Show Snubs: The Grammys, NFL Honors, and the Oscars
Michael Scalise, Staff Writer • February 24, 2024

We are at the start of award show season, and with any sort of award comes controversy as to whether it was deservingly granted. Or, more importantly,...

Social Media and Self-Esteem: How to Manage Social Media Use

Social media usage is often linked to self-esteem issues and mental health concerns, but given the advent of social networking sites, avoiding their use is next to impossible. This research examines present-day information to demonstrate that there is a negative aspect to social media consumption, especially in the context of body image and self-esteem. 

The Drawbacks of Constant Comparison: A study conducted at Stanford University indicated that out of 100 college students, 85 confessed to having an inferiority complex about their lives in comparison to what they see on social networks. Social media platforms like Instagram use meticulously designed feeds with beautiful snapshots and what seems to be an ideal life, leaving the audience doubting their worthiness. Constant comparison has been found to negatively influence self-esteem.

Body Image Concerns: Research at the University of California has shown that not less than seventy percent of the people in their study group expressed fear and dissatisfaction with their body image, blaming it on the content they consume through social media. Digital imaging has created an environment where many young people feel that they are inadequate in comparison to flawless ideals. This often results in lower self-esteem, psychological problems, and eating disorders. 

The FOMO (Fear of Missing Out): According to a survey done by Pew Research Center, 72% percent of college students suffer from FOMO while scrolling through their friend’s posts on social media platforms. This constant photo bombardment on social media produces a sense of exclusion that young people, who see pictures of parties, social gatherings, and trips, suffer from loss of self-confidence.

Trolling and Harassment: 40% of people experience cyberbullying, harassment, trolling, and hateful comments, which tend to cause mental health issues. Such interactions bring feelings of doubt into oneself, eroding one’s faith in oneself.

It is possible to manage social media use in a way that supports one’s mental health, though. While social media has a great influence on self-confidence, some strategies have been established to mitigate the ill effects. Here are some recommendations to cultivate a healthier relationship with social media:

Establish Boundaries: Limit usage of social media to curb excessive comparison and negative self-perception. Allocate time for visiting sites and establish tech-free gaps within your schedule.

Curate Your Feed: Consider joining and following people promoting body positivity, mental awareness, and content relevant to your life. Avoid consuming content that triggers feelings of inadequacy.

Practice Self-Compassion: Do not put the value of your self-worth on likes or number of followers. Love yourself and appreciate your uniqueness/individuality and achievement.

Engage Offline and Seek Support: Take time for activities, hobbies, and close interaction with real-life friends. Participate in genuine experiences that help in character development and healthy self-esteem. If stuff on social media is a bit overwhelming, consider seeking guidance from friends or mental health professionals. 

Social media is now an integral part of society, and accreditation programs and wellness strategies are needed to navigate its harmful aspects. What’s shown on social media platforms is well well-curated illusion, so instead of being overwhelmed by it, we need to manage our digital experiences in a way that can increase our self-esteem.