Commuter Students Offer Opinions on New Faculty Parking Lot
Corinne Becker, News & Features Editor • May 3, 2024

Le Moyne’s Board of Trustees approved the construction of a new parking lot outside of Mitchell Hall during their February meeting. While the...

This years Dolphins Choice Award awardees
‘This Work We Put in Pays Off’: Students Honored at Dolphins Choice Awards

On April 14, Le Moyne’s student leaders were celebrated at the annual Dolphins Choice Awards to commemorate their hard work making campus a...

Fouad Dietz speaking to a journalism class
Transforming Le Moyne: Campus Renovation Plans Unveiled
La Quida Cummings, Guest Writer • May 2, 2024

Le Moyne is embarking on a major transformation through a series of extensive infrastructure projects aimed at modernizing the campus and enhancing...

photo courtesy of Le Moyne
Missing Out: Dolphy Day From the Perspective of a Student Athlete
Nick Nevins, Guest Writer • May 1, 2024

Tuesday, April 23rd was the famous Dolphy Day everyone looks forward to every semester. From a student-athlete’s perspective, I woke up around...

Many Small Stories Together Form a Le Moyne Tradition: Dolphy Day
CMM-374 Class, Guest Writers • April 28, 2024

LeMoyne College seniors found out Monday evening, from the newly-named “Dolphy Day king,” through an email, that the big day would be Tuesday. Some...

Dolphy Day at 50: Tradition, Memory, and Quest for Authenticity

Le Moyne’s statue of jazz legend Eric Dolphy located between Nelligan and Foery

As Le Moyne College approaches the vibrant tradition of Dolphy Day, the story of its origins and the narrative surrounding it take center stage, particularly as we mark the 50th anniversary of the graduation of Le Moyne alumnus and Dolphy Day co-founder, Chris Heffernan.

In a recent conversion, Heffernan – a 71-year-old resident of Delray Beach, Florida, who attended Le Moyne at the time the event began, in 1971 – recounted Dolphy Day’s inception as a picture of youthful defiance and a longing for communal joy amidst the tumultuous era of the Vietnam War and the aftermath of significant national tragedies.

“It started out as an act of civil disobedience,” Heffernan recalls. “On the first really nice day, we were gonna cut classes and have a party.”

This act of spontaneity was inspired by a Frank Zappa album and a song titled “The Eric Dolphy Memorial Barbecue,” despite the group’s unfamiliarity with Dolphy himself, a notable jazz musician.

The tradition’s representation has evolved over the years, leading to the installation of an Eric Dolphy statue on campus, accompanied by a narrative that Heffernan disputes. Heffernan said he has deep respect and admiration for Eric Dolphy, a brilliant jazz legend, and that his objections to the narrative behind the statue are not intended to diminish anything about Dolphy’s stature as a great artist, deserving of renown.

“My irritation with the statue was that he [Dolphy] really didn’t have anything to do with it,” he states, expressing concern over the college’s portrayal of Dolphy Day’s origins.

“There was a guy from the class of ’73 who had a plaque made [recently] to honor the true founders of Dolphy Day. He was supposed to put it up but chickened out at the last minute,” Heffernan humorously notes, even suggesting that a daring student might one day affix it to the Dolphy statue.

Dr. Fred Pestello, former president of Le Moyne College, provided an administrative perspective on the Dolphy Day narrative and its contested histories through a note written in 2012:

While he does not specifically address the possibility of the plaque being amended, he emphasizes the importance of embracing diverse perspectives and the evolving nature of tradition in that letter.

“I cherish the role of perspective, myth, legend, and indeed, mystery, in human life,” he wrote.

As spring approaches and Dolphy Day draws near, the Le Moyne community is reminded of the event’s rich history and the dialogue between traditional and individual perspectives. The question of whether the plaque telling the real story will ever be mounted remains open, symbolizing the ongoing conversation about memory, identity, and how we commemorate our collective pasts.