Long-Unused Courtyard to Finally Reopen as a Community Space
Annie Hubert, Guest Writer • April 13, 2024

Riddled with cracked cement and overgrown weeds, the courtyard that lies between Grewen and Reilly halls has been left untouched by the Le Moyne...

‘It Felt Like a Gift From God’: Le Moyne Students and Surrounding Community React to Eclipse
CMM-274 Class, Guest Writers • April 11, 2024

Amanda Wood started her day off in a taciturn mood at Le Moyne College, underwhelmed by all the talk of the big event. Monday was just any other...

Le Moyne College Responds to Surge in Campus Car Break-ins
La Quida Cummings, Guest Writer • April 10, 2024

In response to a recent series of car break-ins across campus, Derek McGork, director of Security, used a recent interview with The Dolphin to...

Spotlight: Cellist Jordan Gunns Musical Journey
Spotlight: Cellist Jordan Gunn's Musical Journey
Daniel Mondelli April 9, 2024

This Wednesday, April 10th, Le Moyne will host a performance by cellist Jordan Gunn in the Panasci Family Chapel at 7:30 pm and will be accompanied...

Flags and Acknowledgements: Le Moyne Takes Steps Toward Reconciliation with the Haudenosaunee
Isabella Allen and Carly Nicolai April 5, 2024

“We honor the Onondaga Nation, the original people on whose land Le Moyne College stands.” You may have heard this recited at school-sponsored...

Serving Sunshine: Theresa Williams Brings that Quality to Le Moyne Every Day

Muhammad Lee
Dolphin Den, Cafeteria, and C-Store Supervisor Theresa Williams

Theresa.

No introduction necessary — everyone at Le Moyne knows Theresa.

Theresa Williams is the lively, laughing, lady in the Den at Le Moyne. Supervisor now of the Dolphin Den, Cafeteria, and C-Store, today’s students wait for her special attention. And she spoils them the way she often did their parents. Faculty, administrators, and students have enjoyed the warmth of her hospitality for the past 36 years.

Theresa built her career on a strong will and a work ethic that propelled her from a very minimal beginning. “I dropped out of college at Buff State,” Theresa recalls. “And I had to get a job. My uncle worked at Le Moyne, and he told my mother that the only place open was as a dishwasher. She said, ‘great,’ thinking this work would quickly send me back to college.

“Instead, I decided that I would use this to work my way into a better position. Soon I was out of the dish room, on to the salad bar, then food prep work, and finally I ran the coffee cart upstairs on the floor. Eventually all this came together, and I moved with the changes in locations back down at the Dolphin Den.”

Theresa’s popularity comes from her genuine interest in every person who comes into the Den. And she remembers their stories, their favorite foods, their troubles with classes or personalities. She has encouraged students who worked in food service and trained some who now are CEOs in this business today.

Her personal connections with many former students extend into their futures. Theresa plans to attend still another student’s wedding, this one in Virginia. “They find me,” Theresa says proudly. “One of my students was named valedictorian and mentioned me in her speech. I saved the video.”

Theresa cites several people at Le Moyne who have been kind and gracious to her. She holds a special place in her heart for Le Moyne English Professor, Ann Ryan. “Ann helped my son who was having difficulties when he was 7-years-old. She took him to her classroom and had him take notes to report. “She truly inspires me.”

The first Bettye Dunn Award for contract employees who embody the mission of Le Moyne, was presented to Theresa in 2019. Professor Ryan wrote the citation: …“ for the past 30 years, Theresa has made our days brighter. How many students have stood
before her, feeling lonesome or lost, and found in her kindness a reminder of home? How often has her smile and humor – ‘a bagel with crème cheese; that’ll be $250 Dollars’ … invited us to laugh in spite of whatever worries we carry throughout the day? Theresa radiates warmth and affection…Theresa Williams has given us a lesson in love.”

In April of 2023, food vendors changed hands at Le Moyne. Many of the kitchen employees were not being rehired under the new company. A student effort produced hundreds of student signatures hoping Theresa would stay. She was overwhelmed by this outpouring of love and support from the students she serves.

Theresa has three children and five grandchildren. Her dedication to her place at Le Moyne often challenges her wish to spend more time with them. “Thanks to one of my sons who works for Delta, I am scheduled this month for a 12:55 p.m. flight to Atlanta. I will arrive in time for my granddaughter’s soccer game, then make the late return flight home to be at work in the morning.

“This is why I am going to retire, to spend time with my children and grandchildren. I hope to work four more years having spent 40 years at Le Moyne. I also have a bucket list: I want to go to Nassau, Cancun, and Jamaica.”

For now, Theresa vows, “I am livin’ my best life.” Fortunate for all who come into the Den and find Theresa waiting — just for them.