Nana Kwame Adjei-Brenyah’s visit at Le Moyne
Kamilla Shahzad, Staff Writer • May 17, 2024

On April 18 th , 2024, Le Moyne College had the privilege of hosting a special guest, acclaimed author Nana Kwame Adjei-Brenyah, who delighted...

Column: The Long Journey at Le Moyne
Column: The Long Journey at Le Moyne
Mary Anne Winfield, Guest Writer • May 17, 2024

I never expected to be a “senior” senior at Le Moyne College. My first introduction to the college was in the 1970’s. I was a two-year...

Theta Chi house at Colgate University
Column: Why I want to see Greek life at Le Moyne College.
Payton Hirsch, Guest Writer • May 17, 2024

At Le Moyne College there is no presence of “Greek Life,” which has left many wondering why. According to Joseph Della Posta, the school’s...

Photo courtesy of Le Moyne; Images of Officer Jensen, Onondaga County Sheriff’s Lt. Hoosock posted at memorial service.
‘A True Leader and Phenomenal Teammate’: Remembering Fallen Officer, a Le Moyne Graduate
Stephen Moore and Aidan Clark May 8, 2024

The Rev. William Dolan wants you to know what the community lost when Michael Jensen, a Syracuse police officer and a Le Moyne graduate, was...

Dr. James Carroll: The Donation that Rewrote Le Moyne  College’s History
Dr. James Carroll: The Donation that Rewrote Le Moyne College’s History
Legende McGrath, Guest Writer • May 7, 2024

In late March, Le Moyne College, specifically the College of Arts and Sciences, received a $12 million donation provided by Le Moyne alumnus...

Le Moyne Events Shaping for Eclipse

photo courtesy of I Love NY

Le Moyne College, in preparation for the once-in-a-lifetime celestial event that will occur in just over a month, will be hosting a myriad of events to celebrate the eclipse, like a picnic and guest lecture by Syracuse University’s Dr. Peter Saulson. Additionally,  Dr. Jason Luscier, a biology professor at Le Moyne, will be hosting a nature walk during the eclipse to observe how it affects the local wildlife and their circadian rhythms.

Luscier is hoping to begin the April 8 walk about 30 minutes before totality begins, at around 2:50 p.m., so that the group gets the opportunity to observe the normal behaviors of the wildlife before total darkness. Ideally, by the time the sun is completely blotted out, the group will be at the hill overlooking the old reservoir near the center of the forest; Luscier said that he chose this spot because he knows that birds tend to congregate around the reservoir and the hill overlooks much of the forest.

From this vantage point, Luscier expects the group to see diurnal, active in the daytime, birds, due to their bright plumage and noticeable vocalizations, returning to nest as the eclipse reaches totality; he also hopes that the group will be able to see small mammals, like squirrels, acting similar to the birds, and even possibly that the group will get to see crepuscular animals, those most active during twilight like raccoons and foxes, coming out of their dens, although it is unlikely as those animals tend to shy away from humans, according to him.

For fans of nocturnal animals however, Luscier has bad news as he does not expect to notice any activity from any owls or crickets as they are either not in these woods or are not going to be active so early in the year according to him.

While Luscier said that he loves to lead these wildlife walks, he has yet to experience one like this, and is extremely excited to have this opportunity and to share it with students who share his curiosity. At the moment, there is no official way to sign up for the walk, but Luscier is planning on sending out a google form in the coming weeks, so keep an eye out for that as last week he said that he can only take so many students. Luscier is excited to have the ability to show these students this once-in-a-lifetime event in a way that few will ever get the chance to experience.