Long-Unused Courtyard to Finally Reopen as a Community Space
Annie Hubert, Guest Writer • April 13, 2024

Riddled with cracked cement and overgrown weeds, the courtyard that lies between Grewen and Reilly halls has been left untouched by the Le Moyne...

‘It Felt Like a Gift From God’: Le Moyne Students and Surrounding Community React to Eclipse
CMM-274 Class, Guest Writers • April 11, 2024

Amanda Wood started her day off in a taciturn mood at Le Moyne College, underwhelmed by all the talk of the big event. Monday was just any other...

Le Moyne College Responds to Surge in Campus Car Break-ins
La Quida Cummings, Guest Writer • April 10, 2024

In response to a recent series of car break-ins across campus, Derek McGork, director of Security, used a recent interview with The Dolphin to...

Spotlight: Cellist Jordan Gunns Musical Journey
Spotlight: Cellist Jordan Gunn's Musical Journey
Daniel Mondelli April 9, 2024

This Wednesday, April 10th, Le Moyne will host a performance by cellist Jordan Gunn in the Panasci Family Chapel at 7:30 pm and will be accompanied...

Flags and Acknowledgements: Le Moyne Takes Steps Toward Reconciliation with the Haudenosaunee
Isabella Allen and Carly Nicolai April 5, 2024

“We honor the Onondaga Nation, the original people on whose land Le Moyne College stands.” You may have heard this recited at school-sponsored...

Le Moyne Events Shaping for Eclipse

photo courtesy of I Love NY

Le Moyne College, in preparation for the once-in-a-lifetime celestial event that will occur in just over a month, will be hosting a myriad of events to celebrate the eclipse, like a picnic and guest lecture by Syracuse University’s Dr. Peter Saulson. Additionally,  Dr. Jason Luscier, a biology professor at Le Moyne, will be hosting a nature walk during the eclipse to observe how it affects the local wildlife and their circadian rhythms.

Luscier is hoping to begin the April 8 walk about 30 minutes before totality begins, at around 2:50 p.m., so that the group gets the opportunity to observe the normal behaviors of the wildlife before total darkness. Ideally, by the time the sun is completely blotted out, the group will be at the hill overlooking the old reservoir near the center of the forest; Luscier said that he chose this spot because he knows that birds tend to congregate around the reservoir and the hill overlooks much of the forest.

From this vantage point, Luscier expects the group to see diurnal, active in the daytime, birds, due to their bright plumage and noticeable vocalizations, returning to nest as the eclipse reaches totality; he also hopes that the group will be able to see small mammals, like squirrels, acting similar to the birds, and even possibly that the group will get to see crepuscular animals, those most active during twilight like raccoons and foxes, coming out of their dens, although it is unlikely as those animals tend to shy away from humans, according to him.

For fans of nocturnal animals however, Luscier has bad news as he does not expect to notice any activity from any owls or crickets as they are either not in these woods or are not going to be active so early in the year according to him.

While Luscier said that he loves to lead these wildlife walks, he has yet to experience one like this, and is extremely excited to have this opportunity and to share it with students who share his curiosity. At the moment, there is no official way to sign up for the walk, but Luscier is planning on sending out a google form in the coming weeks, so keep an eye out for that as last week he said that he can only take so many students. Luscier is excited to have the ability to show these students this once-in-a-lifetime event in a way that few will ever get the chance to experience.