Long-Unused Courtyard to Finally Reopen as a Community Space
Annie Hubert, Guest Writer • April 13, 2024

Riddled with cracked cement and overgrown weeds, the courtyard that lies between Grewen and Reilly halls has been left untouched by the Le Moyne...

‘It Felt Like a Gift From God’: Le Moyne Students and Surrounding Community React to Eclipse
CMM-274 Class, Guest Writers • April 11, 2024

Amanda Wood started her day off in a taciturn mood at Le Moyne College, underwhelmed by all the talk of the big event. Monday was just any other...

Le Moyne College Responds to Surge in Campus Car Break-ins
La Quida Cummings, Guest Writer • April 10, 2024

In response to a recent series of car break-ins across campus, Derek McGork, director of Security, used a recent interview with The Dolphin to...

Spotlight: Cellist Jordan Gunns Musical Journey
Spotlight: Cellist Jordan Gunn's Musical Journey
Daniel Mondelli April 9, 2024

This Wednesday, April 10th, Le Moyne will host a performance by cellist Jordan Gunn in the Panasci Family Chapel at 7:30 pm and will be accompanied...

Flags and Acknowledgements: Le Moyne Takes Steps Toward Reconciliation with the Haudenosaunee
Isabella Allen and Carly Nicolai April 5, 2024

“We honor the Onondaga Nation, the original people on whose land Le Moyne College stands.” You may have heard this recited at school-sponsored...

Not Junk Mail: Mailroom Messages Sent to Students’ Spam Folders

It had been a week since junior Isabella Allen made an online order, and she still hadn’t gotten an email from the mailroom. This wasn’t just any package — she was waiting for an order of iron supplements as directed by her doctor. 

“Although I received an email from the sender that it had arrived, I never got anything from the mailroom,” she explained, and so she decided to wait until her package was logged by the mailroom.

It wasn’t until about a week later on Feb. 14th, when Mailroom Director Matthew Avery sent out an email to students revealing that the emails were being sent to students’ spam folders, that Allen was able to retrieve her package. 

“It was quite frustrating waiting to get what I ordered, and of course detrimental to my health,” she said. “I imagine it’s quite frustrating for all students to wait for things they paid for.”

In the message, Avery outlined how to make sure mailroom notifications no longer get sent to the spam folder: 

“In Gmail on a computer go to Settings>See All Settings>Filters and Blocked Addresses>Create a new filter>type [email protected] in the From box then click “Create filter”>Choose “Never send it to Spam”>Create Filter.” 

But why are emails from the mailroom suddenly going to students’ spam folders?

According to Le Moyne IT, it is the result of recent security changes made by Google and Yahoo, and “the recent changes by Google and Yahoo have resulted in messages from these services being blocked or sent to spam. As these matters are identified, IT staff are collaborating with campus offices and service providers to resolve the issue.”

Avery sent out another email on Feb. 19 assuring students that the issue would likely be resolved within the week, but still advising them to continue checking the spam folder for possible missed emails, a suggestion echoed by Le Moyne IT:

While the College transitions to the increased enforcement of these security practices, we encourage students to more frequently monitor their spam folders for legitimate messages.”