Fouad Dietz speaking to a journalism class
Transforming Le Moyne: Campus Renovation Plans Unveiled
La Quida Cummings, Guest Writer • May 2, 2024

Le Moyne is embarking on a major transformation through a series of extensive infrastructure projects aimed at modernizing the campus and enhancing...

photo courtesy of Le Moyne
Missing Out: Dolphy Day From the Perspective of a Student Athlete
Nick Nevins, Guest Writer • May 1, 2024

Tuesday, April 23rd was the famous Dolphy Day everyone looks forward to every semester. From a student-athlete’s perspective, I woke up around...

Many Small Stories Together Form a Le Moyne Tradition: Dolphy Day
CMM-374 Class, Guest Writers • April 28, 2024

LeMoyne College seniors found out Monday evening, from the newly-named “Dolphy Day king,” through an email, that the big day would be Tuesday. Some...

Two Columns: Students Plead for Better Parking Solutions at Le Moyne
La Quida Cummings and Kamilla ShahzadApril 26, 2024

Driving Change: Initiatives to Improve Commuter Parking By La Quida Cummings As a commuter student at Le Moyne, navigating the daily challenge...

The Worst Movie Ever Takes the Stage: Plan 9 from Outer Space Opens this Thursday
Carly Nicolai, Editor in Chief • April 22, 2024

Aliens, vampires, and zombies, oh my! All these ghouls will be populating the Jesuit Theater at the PAC this weekend, along with the humans trying...

Not Junk Mail: Mailroom Messages Sent to Students’ Spam Folders

It had been a week since junior Isabella Allen made an online order, and she still hadn’t gotten an email from the mailroom. This wasn’t just any package — she was waiting for an order of iron supplements as directed by her doctor. 

“Although I received an email from the sender that it had arrived, I never got anything from the mailroom,” she explained, and so she decided to wait until her package was logged by the mailroom.

It wasn’t until about a week later on Feb. 14th, when Mailroom Director Matthew Avery sent out an email to students revealing that the emails were being sent to students’ spam folders, that Allen was able to retrieve her package. 

“It was quite frustrating waiting to get what I ordered, and of course detrimental to my health,” she said. “I imagine it’s quite frustrating for all students to wait for things they paid for.”

In the message, Avery outlined how to make sure mailroom notifications no longer get sent to the spam folder: 

“In Gmail on a computer go to Settings>See All Settings>Filters and Blocked Addresses>Create a new filter>type [email protected] in the From box then click “Create filter”>Choose “Never send it to Spam”>Create Filter.” 

But why are emails from the mailroom suddenly going to students’ spam folders?

According to Le Moyne IT, it is the result of recent security changes made by Google and Yahoo, and “the recent changes by Google and Yahoo have resulted in messages from these services being blocked or sent to spam. As these matters are identified, IT staff are collaborating with campus offices and service providers to resolve the issue.”

Avery sent out another email on Feb. 19 assuring students that the issue would likely be resolved within the week, but still advising them to continue checking the spam folder for possible missed emails, a suggestion echoed by Le Moyne IT:

While the College transitions to the increased enforcement of these security practices, we encourage students to more frequently monitor their spam folders for legitimate messages.”