Long-Unused Courtyard to Finally Reopen as a Community Space
Annie Hubert, Guest Writer • April 13, 2024

Riddled with cracked cement and overgrown weeds, the courtyard that lies between Grewen and Reilly halls has been left untouched by the Le Moyne...

‘It Felt Like a Gift From God’: Le Moyne Students and Surrounding Community React to Eclipse
CMM-274 Class, Guest Writers • April 11, 2024

Amanda Wood started her day off in a taciturn mood at Le Moyne College, underwhelmed by all the talk of the big event. Monday was just any other...

Le Moyne College Responds to Surge in Campus Car Break-ins
La Quida Cummings, Guest Writer • April 10, 2024

In response to a recent series of car break-ins across campus, Derek McGork, director of Security, used a recent interview with The Dolphin to...

Spotlight: Cellist Jordan Gunns Musical Journey
Spotlight: Cellist Jordan Gunn's Musical Journey
Daniel Mondelli April 9, 2024

This Wednesday, April 10th, Le Moyne will host a performance by cellist Jordan Gunn in the Panasci Family Chapel at 7:30 pm and will be accompanied...

Flags and Acknowledgements: Le Moyne Takes Steps Toward Reconciliation with the Haudenosaunee
Isabella Allen and Carly Nicolai April 5, 2024

“We honor the Onondaga Nation, the original people on whose land Le Moyne College stands.” You may have heard this recited at school-sponsored...

Le Moyne Looks to Add Mitchell Parking Lot

Mitchell+Hall
Carly Nicolai
Mitchell Hall

Parking is a hotly contested issue at Le Moyne College, with both commuters and faculty having to share spots that fill up quickly. Their complaints have been rampant, but at a February meeting, Le Moyne’s Board of Trustees will be reviewing a plan to build a new parking lot in front of Mitchell Hall. 

This lot would be open to faculty only, with access only available through a fob specifically given to those using the 65 new spaces that will be constructed. According to Joseph Della Posta, Director of Communications and Public Affairs at Le Moyne, the project, which would cost the college approximately $175,000, could be done as early as fall of 2024.

…assuming [the Board] approve[s] it at the meeting, the College will move forward with getting bids for the project and constructing it this summer…” Della Posta stated in an email. 

Some wonder why the school would build a lot for faculty instead of commuters, but Della Posta says the idea behind the plan is that designating spaces for faculty will in turn open more parking for commuters. Current parking lots for commuter students at Le Moyne include Lots A, AA, AAA, and Lot C. However, many faculty and residents also park in these spaces due to their convenience and walkability to the academic buildings and athletic complexes.

Della Posta ensures that those in charge of the decision to build the new parking lot “are confident that this will free up spots for the students.”

When asked what she thought about the plan, commuter student Kira Lioto said, “I think it’s a good idea if [the faculty] actually use it, it should be required for faculty to park there so students can have their own lots.”

Despite the skepticism, adding additional parking is a long awaited move by the college that has the potential to reduce the stress that surrounds daily commutes to campus.