Campus Mass Thursday as Le Moyne Mourns Loss “That Breaks Our Hearts” – Deaths of Two Law Enforcement Officers With Close Ties to College
CMM-374 Class, Guest Writers • April 17, 2024

A Mass will be said at noon Thursday at the Panasci Family Chapel - and the flags on the Grewen quad will fly at half-staff until next week -...

Your Dolphy Day Guide: Tips and Strategies for Getting the Most Out of the Day!
Maria Randazzo, Director of the Wellness Center for Health and Counseling • April 16, 2024

All but freshman have experienced Dolphy Day so you know what to expect. Did you do it right last year, meaning you had a wonderful time with...

NASA Astronaut Jeanette Epps in action
From Syracuse to the Stars: Old Friend Marvels at Success of Astronaut Jeanette Epps
Kamilla Shahzad, Staff Writer • April 15, 2024

Jeanette Epps stands at the forefront of space exploration, embodying resilience, and intellect while breaking barriers and redefining boundaries....

Shot Clock, Precious Artifact of NBA History, at Le Moyne – But Out of View
Stephen Riale, Guest Writer • April 15, 2024

Tucked away in an unsuspecting corner of Le Moyne’s Noreen Reale Falcone library is a treasure trove of basketball history. The Syracuse...

Long-Unused Courtyard to Finally Reopen as a Community Space
Annie Hubert, Guest Writer • April 13, 2024

Riddled with cracked cement and overgrown weeds, the courtyard that lies between Grewen and Reilly halls has been left untouched by the Le Moyne...

Dolphins Exploring New Waters: Le Moyne’s Recent Housing Acquisition

This past summer, Le Moyne College purchased twenty houses on Audubon Parkway behind the bookstore. The houses were purchased from Darren Dibiase, a Le Moyne alum, who owns many properties in the Syracuse area. 

“This additional housing will allow us to support students who want an off-campus feel within the housing options we offer,” says Associate Provost Shaun Crisler. “As we continue the four-year living on-campus requirement, we have used student feedback to expand our options. The homes will be considered equivalent to on-campus housing and will fulfill the on-campus housing requirements.” 

Purchased through a 501(c)(3) (not-for-profit documentation which allows tax exemptions,) along with financing assistance from Dibiase, the houses serve the broader mission of the Le Moyne Area Neighborhood Development Strategy (LANDS). To re-energize the Salt Springs neighborhood, Le Moyne and other institutions are investing in the area to make it safer and more stable. 

Each house will be put in the housing lottery next year except a dentist’s office, which will be converted into additional office spaces for employees. In the coming months, Le Moyne will be making renovations to the houses, including improving roofs, fixing chimneys, and replacing doors with new locks. There is currently no plan for Le Moyne to purchase more houses. 

According to Joe Grasso, Vice President for Finance and Administration, “Le Moyne’s Campus Life Team is currently reviewing all of the previous lease agreements, occupancy numbers, and scheduled repairs to identify the homes that will be entered into the lottery. A communication will go out before the end of September to give the students in the recently purchased homes a sense of some of the changes to come. The students in these homes will be expected to participate in the lottery process to secure housing for next academic year.” 

Students seem to welcome the new addition to campus. With Le Moyne recently going Division I and in anticipation of a major increase in students this expansion is seen as a good way to accommodate these changes. Students also agree that the new housing will allow students an off-campus feel and room for more independence while still honoring Le Moyne’s four-year housing requirement. 

Although most are optimistic about the acquisition, others are concerned with the distance from the houses to the academic buildings. Currently, there is no real clear way to get from Audubon Pkwy to the rest of campus. Others feel as though the money should have been spent elsewhere, for more parking lots for commuters or a better investment in dining options. 

To the majority, the new housing options seem like a welcome change to campus as the campus community continues to grow and flourish, with students anticipating next year’s lottery to find out more about the new waters Le Moyne’s dolphins will be swimming in.