The Unlikely Journey that Led to Jenicah Brown’s Historic Goal
Stephen Riale, Guest Writer • February 26, 2024

“I think that every athlete at one point or another dreams of playing at the Division 1 level,” Le Moyne College women’s soccer star Jenicah...

Coach Liz Beville, courtesy of Greg Wall, Le Moyne Athletics
Lacrosse Progams Zero in on D-I Challenge
Stephen Moore and Aidan Clark February 26, 2024

With the inaugural Division I season approaching for Le Moyne College’s lacrosse program, the Dolphins look to make waves at the D-I level...

The Dolphin Goes Offline: Copyright Issues Force Paper to Remove Majority of Articles
Isabella Allen, Staff Writer • February 26, 2024

The Dolphin has been a staple of Le Moyne college for many years, giving journalism students an avenue to learn and practice news writing before...

photo courtesy of I Love NY
Le Moyne Events Shaping for Eclipse
Aidan Mingoia and Legende McGrath February 26, 2024

Le Moyne College, in preparation for the once-in-a-lifetime celestial event that will occur in just over a month, will be hosting a myriad of...

Award Show Snubs: The Grammys, NFL Honors, and the Oscars
Michael Scalise, Staff Writer • February 24, 2024

We are at the start of award show season, and with any sort of award comes controversy as to whether it was deservingly granted. Or, more importantly,...

My Breakthrough: Life as a Hard of Hearing Student

Taliah Carmona, class of ’24

As the end of my senior year approaches, I’ve reflected on my last four years, which have been nothing but remarkable. I found myself finally having the courage to admit something that took me years to accept: it is that I’m hard of hearing. I was diagnosed with moderate severe hearing loss in both ears at the age of 3 years old. 

People often commend me for appearing and speaking in a way that is considered “normal.” Yet beneath that is somebody who is constantly struggling to love and accept herself. I have spent most of my life comparing myself to others and neglecting my self-worth at the expense of how others may view me. I would make sure my hair was down to cover both of my hearing aids so that no one would know about my hearing disability. 

Being hard of hearing is not easy. It came with a lot of challenges and struggles growing up. The simplest tasks, such as picking up phone calls and ordering food, became the hardest. I often find myself feeling frustrated and annoyed with my disability. 

My college experience was the toughest yet the most rewarding experience ever. It gave me the confidence and self-esteem that I never knew I had. I learned how to fully advocate for myself, and take the chance on something that I normally wouldn’t do. 

I joined the Ritmo Tropical dance team and fashion club. I performed in the Latin banquet and participated in the ASU runway event. This has helped me feel comfortable in my own body and skin. I also worked for Sports Information at the athletic center and Le Moyne’s catering. This taught me how to be independent and responsible.

Moreover, I have met friends over the years at Le Moyne who have encouraged me to become my best self. They taught me to have fun and to live life to the fullest without fearing my hearing loss.

Nonetheless, my hearing loss has made me grow into someone I love and am proud of today. It doesn’t limit what I can do but only inspires me to do more and make a difference in my community. 

Never be afraid to show the real you.