Le Moyne Student Athletes Academic Success at an All Time High with Fourth Consecutive Semester Recognized in the Commissioner’s Honor Roll List

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Le Moyne College athletic program recently had 72.5 percent of its student-athletes receive recognition in the Commissioner’s Honor Roll list for the 2017 fall semester. This is the fourth consecutive semester that Le Moyne has had over 70 percent of its student athletes be recognized on this list.

The Commissioner’s Honor Roll list consists of 16 institutions: 15 schools from The Northeast-10 Conference teams and LIU Post, the associate member of the list. In order to be honored by the Commissioner’s Honor Roll committee, student-athletes must attain a 3.0 or above grade point average in a semester.

Out of a total of 3,685 student-athletes on the most recent list, 250 are from Le Moyne. Of those, 138 Le Moyne student-athletes achieved a 3.5 or greater grade point average and 14 achieved a 4.0 grade point average in 2017’s fall semester.

Men’s basketball student-athlete Tyree Chambers has achieved recognition on the Commissioner’s Honor Roll list for the past four semesters. Chambers has focused on balancing academics and athletics through time management.

“Over the course of my two years at Le Moyne the most important thing for me in having success as a student-athlete is managing my time properly,” said Chambers.

Also, Chambers said he feels fortunate and gives recognition to the professors of Le Moyne.
“Here at Le Moyne College, I feel professors want to see students succeed,” Chambers said. “I feel very fortunate in having great experiences with the professor here.”

Le Moyne finished fourth in student-athletes achieving Honor roll status amongst the other 15 Commissioner Honor Roll institutions on the list. The three institutions which finished ahead of Le Moyne were Bentley University, Southern New Hampshire University, and Adelphi University. All three of these schools had 75 percent or above of their student athletes recognized for Honor roll status.

Athletic Director Matt Bassett is not surprised by the student athletes’ success as he attributes such academic accomplishments to their focus.

“The academic accomplishments of our student athletes this past semester, and consistently over the past several semesters, is indicative of the mindset of the young people we serve,” said Bassett.

Le Moyne athletic programs offer student athletes during their seasons the option to attend study hall throughout the week, an opportunity which has helped the department reach high academic achievements, while also helping student athletes manage their work loads.

“These are student athletes who are extremely focused on high levels of excellence and achievement in anything that comes their way,” said Bassett. “It is not surprising to me that we are achieving the highest levels of academic achievement in the department’s history.”

Also, Bassett feels that the support of coaches, as well as the commitment from faculty members focused on the greater good of Le Moyne’s athletic program, has helped pave the way for student athletes to be successful both on and off the court.

“The combination of great and caring coaches, and a personally committed faculty, provides the necessary platform for these young people to explore and pursue their very best selves,” said Bassett.

Le Moyne College looks to continue the academic success their student-athletes are having, allowing them to consistently achieve national recognition.

“By any academic metric or standard we use—locally, regionally, and nationally—Le Moyne student athletes are consistently recognized among their peers as among the most accomplished in the country,” said Bassett.

• Le Moyne Student Athletes Academic Success at an All Time High with Fourth Consecutive Semester Recognized in the Commissioner’s Honor Roll List

New Grant from McNeil Family Goes Towards New Risk Management and Insurance Major

Le Moyne College Occupational Therapy Department Hires New Chair

Playwright Kyle Bass Speaks at Le Moyne

Foery Hall Custodial Staff No Longer Cleans Suites’ Bathrooms

Penny Wars Relies on Loose Change to Fundraise for Hurricane Relief Efforts

Le Moyne College hires Rochelle Robinson, Violence Prevention Educator, after receiving a Grant from the Department of Justice for Sexual Assault Prevention

48 Hour Film Project

Craft Talk and Reading with Poet Gabriel Fitzmaurice

Inclusivity and Bias at Le Moyne

Educating the Whole Artist