Le Moyne Women’s Soccer Trying To Hold On Down The Stretch

Syracuse, NY-  As the Le Moyne Women’s soccer team makes the turn down the final stretch of the season, they find themselves in a battle to maintain possession of the eighth, and final, spot in the NE-10 Tournament standings.  With the goal of improving on their finish a season ago, head coach Carrie Bonus and her squad needs to find a way to lock down the winning identity they have shown glimpses of early on.

Coming off their huge win against the University of New Haven a few weeks ago, the Dolphins looked to continue the momentum going on the road to the College of Saint Rose on Wednesday, Sept. 27 in Albany.  Le Moyne pulled off the 1-0 upset over the Golden Knights, giving them their first ever win against them as conference opponents losing the previous 17.  

The Dolphins kept it scoreless in the first half on the back of fantastic play in goal by junior goalkeeper Anastasija Cumika as she racked up three of her seven saves on the game.  In the 76th minute, Le Moyne’s leading scorer sophomore midfielder Claire Stackel buried a free kick from 25 yards out into the back of the net as the Dolphins would hold on for the remaining 14 minutes to seal the victory.

Trying to ride the momentum of their first back to back wins on the year, Le Moyne returned home on Saturday, Sept. 30, to Ted Grant Field where they hosted #6 ranked Adelphi University.  Unfortunately for the Dolphins, Adelphi played exactly like a top 10 team, as they coasted to the 3-0 win over Le Moyne.

Le Moyne was within striking distance trailing only by a goal in the first half, that is until the Panthers’ Jessica Petry laced home a backbreaker with only six seconds remaining in the first half to give Adelphi the 2-0 halftime lead.  The Panthers tacked on another in the second half to further their win streak against Le Moyne as they haven’t lost to the Dolphins since 2010.

Luckily for Le Moyne, they were able to stay home for their next contest as American International College came to town Tuesday, Oct. 3.  The Dolphins rode the hot foot of their leading scorer sophomore midfielder Claire Stackel who racked up two against the Yellow Jackets as Le Moyne rolled to a 4-1 victory, the most goals they have put up in a game all year.

Stackel got the Dolphins on the board first, just eight minutes in on a rebound after senior forward Brielle Filtch had her shot blocked.  After giving up a goal to AIC that evened the score, Le Moyne struck again in the 42nd minute as senior forward Adela Racic sliced through the Yellow Jacket defense on a breakaway and blew one past the goalkeeper for her first of the year, and what would eventually be the game winner.

Le Moyne wasn’t done, however, as they put up two more goals in the second half in route to a bit of a statement win at home.  After freshman forward Maddison Vine sent the ball into the box in the 76th minute, sophomore midfielder Jada Sargeant used a velvet-smooth touch pass to find senior midfielder Grace Powers for her first career goal.  The Dolphins leading scorer Claire Stackel added her second of the game as again Jada Sargeant put the ball in the right place at the right time, giving Le Moyne their first home win of the year.

Finally, Le Moyne made the trip to Manchester, N.H., to take on Saint Anselm College on Saturday, Oct. 7.  On what was a humid October day, Le Moyne saw a tight one slip away as they gave up a late second half goal to fall to the Hawks by a final of 2-1, their fourth one goal loss of the season.  

Trailing at halftime by a score of 1-0, senior midfielder Kirsten Colegrove hammered home a 35-yard stunner that evened the score just over a minute into the second half.  But it was a goal on an open net rebound for Saint Anselm that put them on top for good as Le Moyne was unable to get a shot on goal for the final 19 minutes of the game.  This was the eighth straight loss that Le Moyne has suffered at Saint Anselm and leaves them clinging to the eighth spot with only six games remaining.

Le Moyne (4-7, 3-5 NE-10) will split their remaining six games right down the middle between home and away starting with a road test against Assumption College on Wednesday, Oct. 11.  The Dolphins then come home on Saturday, Oct. 14, to host Merrimack College, who sits at last in the conference, and can be seen on ‘PhinsTV.