Le Moyne Softball Off to Another Hot Start

lemoynedolphins.com
lemoynedolphins.com

lemoynedolphins.com

lemoynedolphins.com

In the search for warmer weather to start their season, Le Moyne’s softball team found a hot start as they won five of their six games played in the Snowbird Freeze Out Tournament in Myrtle Beach, S.C. this past weekend.

They fell in their first game of the season on Feb. 10 to familiar foe Southern New Hampshire University 6-0. SNHU has won their last four meetings, including a season-ending win for Le Moyne in the NCAA Tournament.

The Dolphins were only able to manage three hits against the Penmen, who only had five hits of their own but were able to make the most out of them by racking up six runs in the victory.  Four of the six runs came in the first three innings, with the dagger coming from a Hannah Neverett home run in the sixth.

Le Moyne bounced back very quickly and cruised to a six-run victory over Felician University 8-2 in the next game. After picking up her first RBI of the year in the first inning on a fielder’s choice, senior center fielder Sabrina Riley came up huge for the Dolphins by knocking in three more runs with a double in the second.  That was her second double of the day as she was one of three Dolphins with a hit in the first game.

Junior starting pitcher Alexis Eastman picked up her first win on the mound for the year, allowing only one hit and one run while striking out four batters in four innings of work. Freshman Peyton Bellrose pitched the final three innings of the win and only gave up two hits with one earned run coming in the final inning on a ground out.

On Saturday the Dolphins picked right back up where they left off and didn’t look back for the rest of the weekend. They shutout Molloy College, 2-0, to start the day as Riley brought home the first run of the game on her third double in two days. Senior third baseman Kelly Mascari smashed her first homerun of the year in the fourth, looking to repeat as Le Moyne’s home run leader.

Bellrose picked up her first win of her college career in this one as she went five shutout innings, giving up only one hit overall and striking out six. Eastman shut things down for the Dolphins by pitching the final two innings and giving up only one run on her way to picking up her first save of the year.

The next game on Saturday saw Le Moyne take down Clarion University by a final score of 5-2. Mascari kept her big day going as she picked up two hits in her four at bats, driving home two runs in the process. Eastman handled this one all by herself as she picked up her first complete game win of the year. She only gave up two runs, neither of which were earned, on just three hits.

The Dolphins capped off their stellar opening weekend by tacking on two more wins before the day was over on Sunday. They started with a 3-2 victory over Concord University, a game that saw Riley put her first homerun of the season into orbit. She ended the day going two-for-three with a home run, triple, and an RBI.  Bellrose also picked up two hits in the victory, giving her the first multi-hit game of her career thus far.

For the second straight game, Eastman went the distance as she picked up another complete game win in the contest. She only allowed two runs on just four hits in this one.

Le Moyne wrapped up three tough days to open the season by cruising to their fifth straight victory, beating Lock Haven University 8-3. Bellrose showed why she belongs on the field, even in her first year, by adding another multi-hit game to her weekend, racking up three hits and driving home three runs. Division II Player of the Year candidate Courtney Case also came up big in the win as she went three-for-four as well and drove home two runs of her own.  

Eastman started her third straight game for the Dolphins, giving up only three hits and not allowing a run.  Bellrose capped off her big game by shutting things down for Le Moyne on the mound as she threw the final three innings in the win.

It’s not very often a team can say they are on a five-game winning streak after just three official days of play, but that’s where the Dolphins find themselves as they head further down south to Florida for their next early season tournament, the NTC Tournament, over spring break.

• Le Moyne Softball Off to Another Hot Start

Who’s The 2017 King of Hip-Hop?

Le Moyne Women’s Lacrosse extends win streak to 14

The Middle States Team Comes to Le Moyne for Accreditation Review

New Student Film Luddite to Premiere April 26

Sodexo Food and Health is Satisfactory

The IT Factor

Top Stories

Le Moyne Comes Up Big On the Road Against American International

UPDATE: Le Moyne’s Accreditation 10 Months After Middle States Warning