Women’s Basketball Win Streak Continues

More stories from Roberto Jensen

lemoynedolphins.com
lemoynedolphins.com

lemoynedolphins.com

lemoynedolphins.com

The Le Moyne women’s basketball team continued their winning ways this past week, extending their win streak to five games. The Dolphins defeated the Roberts Wesleyan College Redhawks 64-55 on Nov. 23 and the Daemen College Wildcats 77-68 on Nov. 26.

The Dolphins jumped out ahead 28-21 at the half on a shot from junior forward Joanna Dobrovosky with 18 seconds left after leading almost the entire first two quarters. She had nine points and six rebounds at halftime.

During the fourth quarter, the Dolphins led by as much as 21 points. They reached this lead on a made shot by freshman forward Colleen Corcoran. The Redhawks fought back and went on a 19-2 run to cut the Dolphins’ lead to 56-52 with 2:37 to go. From there, Le Moyne outscored their opponent 8-3 to win the game.

Dobrovosky led the team with 15 points, 11 rebounds, 4 assists, and 3 steals in 37 minutes. She shot 7-11 from the field. Freshman guard McKayla Roberts struggled from the field, only shooting 2-12 and 1-5 from three-point range, but scored 10 points and led the team with seven assists. Half of her points came from free throws, going 5-7 from the charity stripe. Junior guard Brooke Fields had 20 points for Roberts Wesleyan. Freshman forward Emily Miller chipped in with 13 points of her own.

Le Moyne shot 41 percent from the field and combined for 17 assists as a team.

In Le Moyne’s second game in four days, their first quarter defense against Daemen College stood out. Even though the team only scored 12 points in the quarter, they held the Wildcats to just five. Roberts carried the team to a 32-22 lead at halftime, tallying 13 points with two three-pointers.

The closest Daemen came was within five points with a little over two minutes left in the game, 71-66. Roberts later hit two free throws with 1:11 left to extend the Dolphins’ lead to nine and clinch the victory.

Roberts, who was recently named the Northeast-10 Conference Spalding Player and Rookie of the week, scored 25 points in just 25 minutes. She shot 9-15 from the field while shooting 4-6 from deep.

The freshman floor general was also awarded the USBWA Division II National Player of the Week for averaging 25.5 points, 6.5 assists, and 5.5 rebounds in a week where the Dolphins defeated New Haven and Pace.

“We are starting to work well together as a team and we are getting used to each other’s playing styles,” said Roberts. “As a shooter, I don’t dwell on missed shots. I continue to shoot when I’m open. If I’m not making anything I look to contribute in other ways.”

The rest of the team shot a combined 17-51 from the field against the Wildcats. Freshman guard Liz Millea scored 11 points in 20 minutes and hit a pair of three-pointers.

“We are a very confident team and have created a winning mindset,” said senior guard Ailayia Demand. “Each day, whether it is practice or a game, we come ready to work hard and play with heart.”

• Women’s Basketball Win Streak Continues

Emmy 2017 Predictions

It is Time to Say Goodbye, ‘Melo

Opinion

Through My Spectacles: Le Moyne Was Everything

Who’s The 2017 King of Hip-Hop?

Le Moyne Women’s Lacrosse extends win streak to 14

The Middle States Team Comes to Le Moyne for Accreditation Review

Women’s Basketball Win Streak Continues