Le Moyne vs. Syracuse Preview

More stories from Roberto Jensen

lemoynedolphins.com
Back to Article
Back to Article

Le Moyne vs. Syracuse Preview

lemoynedolphins.com

lemoynedolphins.com

lemoynedolphins.com

lemoynedolphins.com

The Le Moyne men’s basketball team will tip off against division one powerhouse Syracuse University at the Carrier Dome in their first exhibition game Tuesday, Nov. 8. This will be the seventh game between the Dolphins and the Orange in ten years. One of those seven games counted as a regular season matchup.

The Dolphins are coming off a season where they went 10-17 and 7-13 in the Northeast-10 Conference. The majority of last season’s roster returns this year, consisting of two freshmen, two sophomores, seven juniors, and two seniors. The Dolphins have three players from the Syracuse area on the team in senior guard Tyquan Rolon (Nottingham), junior forward Daniel Kaigler (Bishop Ludden) and freshman guard Jason Vassallo (Westhill).

Syracuse is coming off a solid 23-14 season where they reached the Final Four in the NCAA tournament. The Orange have six brand new players aboard. The three-man freshmen class they acquired is ranked 17th in the country.

The Dolphins visited the Dome last season in head coach Patrick Beilein’s very first game. Syracuse won 97-58.  The past seven games between the Dolphins and the Orange have been quite lopsided. The Dolphins have posted a 1-6 record against the Orange in games since 2004. The lone 82-79 win came on Nov. 3, 2009. This season’s exhibition game against the Orange will be the Dolphins’ 14th game against division one teams since 2004. Six of  the last eleven games have been against Syracuse. Other division one teams they have played include Monmouth, St. Bonaventure, Georgia Tech, and Loyola Chicago. Beilein spoke upon the upcoming matchup.

“It is exciting for both Le Moyne College and our basketball program to be playing Syracuse in an exhibition game again this season,” said Beilein. “The Orange are coming off another terrific year and it is a great opportunity for us to compete against one of the finest basketball programs in all of college basketball.” (lemoynedolphins.com)

There are a few things the Dolphins will look to improve during the 2016-2017 season. The team’s three-point field goals percentage for the 2015-2016 season was .346 while opponents were shooting at .392. They grabbed an average of 30.6 rebounds per game last season. Opponents grabbed an average of 34.6 rebounds per game, four more than the Dolphins. If the team is to win more games this year, then the assist to turnover ratio must be better. Last season the ratio was 1.1 with 12.2 assists per game and 11 turnovers per game.

Tuesday at the Dome should be fun. Expect to see a ton of orange and white, but green and yellow, too.

• Le Moyne vs. Syracuse Preview

New Grant from McNeil Family Goes Towards New Risk Management and Insurance Major

• Le Moyne vs. Syracuse Preview

Le Moyne College Occupational Therapy Department Hires New Chair

• Le Moyne vs. Syracuse Preview

Playwright Kyle Bass Speaks at Le Moyne

• Le Moyne vs. Syracuse Preview

Foery Hall Custodial Staff No Longer Cleans Suites’ Bathrooms

• Le Moyne vs. Syracuse Preview

Penny Wars Relies on Loose Change to Fundraise for Hurricane Relief Efforts

• Le Moyne vs. Syracuse Preview

Le Moyne College hires Rochelle Robinson, Violence Prevention Educator, after receiving a Grant from the Department of Justice for Sexual Assault Prevention

• Le Moyne vs. Syracuse Preview

48 Hour Film Project

• Le Moyne vs. Syracuse Preview

Craft Talk and Reading with Poet Gabriel Fitzmaurice

• Le Moyne vs. Syracuse Preview

Inclusivity and Bias at Le Moyne

• Le Moyne vs. Syracuse Preview

Educating the Whole Artist

Le Moyne vs. Syracuse Preview