Men’s lacrosse takes down Limestone, remains no. 1 in the country

Kerrigan Coyle '15, Staff Writer

When the Dolphins travel south, they show up big.  They did it in the national championship game last year, and they did it this past Saturday against Limestone College. When the two teams played at a neutral site game in Maryland on March 1, it was the no. 1 ranked Dolphins who came out on top against fifth ranked Limestone, 12-8.

Le Moyne was able to control the game with a balanced offense and a strong defense. The offense was led by nine different goal scorers. Juniors Kevin Kelly and Joe Corapi both had two goals along with senior Chris Button to lead the team’s scoring.

One of the key playmakers on the team this year is sophomore Mike Jenkins. Jenkins had 34 points last year, and already has eight points through two games played this year.

“With the way our offense is run any number of people can have big games,” Jenkins said. “We have so many options that other teams have trouble to try to focus on stopping just one of us.  In the last two games, I have benefited from my teammates making plays that set me up to have success.”

One part of the game that may not get enough attention just by looking at the final score is how well the defense played in the second half.

Jenkins didn’t fail to mention how much the defense affects his side of the field. “It is definitely reassuring knowing that you can count on the defense to make stops when we need them,” he said, “It allows the offense to play loose and just worry about our side of the field.”

Being able to get stops and cause turnovers is important in a game in which you aren’t winning faceoffs. Holding a team to only one goal in a half is an accomplishment no matter whom you are playing. But to do it against a top five team in the country is something to celebrate.  Starting junior close defenseman Kyle Moyer played a big role in the turn around.

“I think we just decided as a unit to tighten things up defensively,” Moyer said. “We didn’t want to give them any easy looks at the cage. And when we were able to get back to back stops on two man down situations in the third quarter, I think that took them [Limestone] out of sync, and it was hard for them to get going again.”

This year, the Dolphins have Ben Romagnoli in the goal, a transfer from Syracuse University. Romagnoli is trying to fill in the footsteps of former goalie, Jeff White.

Moyer  had great things to say about the impact his goalie has made. “Ben does a great job in a lot of areas besides just stopping the ball,” he said. “He’s very vocal in net which really shows how high of an IQ he has for the game. Knowing he’s back there helps us as a defense play with confidence because we know we can get stops at the end of plays.”

To come in as a transfer student and get to the level the dolphins are, being the defending national champions, is a tough challenge. But Moyer says it’s one Romagnoli can handle.

“[Romagnoli] wants to win,” he said. “He’s been around a lot of winning programs in his life from high school to college and I think that is his X-factor. When you have a goalie that wants to win as bad as he does the rest of the team feeds off that energy and passion.”