Le Moyne baseball sweeps four game home stand

Tim Neer, Staff Writer

The Le Moyne Baseball team entered last week at #14 in the NCAA national polls and #17 according to the National Collegiate Baseball Writer’s Association. With an overall record of 23-8-1 (8-4-1 in conference and 3-2 in southwest division), the Dolphins sat in second place in their division just behind Pace University.

With four home games, (all against division opponents) on the slate, Le Moyne looked to climb the standings and strengthen their NCAA tournament resume. On Thursday, April 12, the Dolphins faced a struggling, but scrappy, St. Rose team at Dick Rockwell Field..

Leading the team was junior right-hander Casey Cannon, who pitched an absolute gem on the mound, going eight and one-third scoreless innings.  He struck out four batters while only surrendering three hits, and improving to a perfect 4-0 on the year.  Junior closer Kevin Carroll took the mound in the ninth inning and recorded the final two outs for his fourth save of the year.

On Saturday, April 14the team faced their first of three consecutive games against New Haven. This time, the Dolphins were led by the bat of senior center-fielder Brett Botsford of Baldwinsville, who pounded two singles and a double, and also scored the game winning run in a 2-1 victory. Junior pitcher Derek Zielinski found his way to the top of the conference, recording his seventh win and boasting a perfect record of 7-0. Senior Erik Lambe came through with three crucial scoreless innings, recording his third save of the year.

On Sunday, April 15, the Dolphins continued with the second half of their four game home stand in a double header against New Haven. The first game of the afternoon saw the Dolphins to their third straight win in a 4-2 win. The Dolphins bats were red hot, getting doubles from Botsford and junior Brian Stinson, and homeruns from senior Matt Marra and sophomore Nate Reynolds. On the mound, senior Mark Kuzma got his third win of the season going eight innings with eight strikeouts and only two earned runs. Kevin Carroll got his fifth win of the season.

The Dolphins capped an outstanding week, bouncing back from two heart breaking one run losses to St. Anselm, with a boisterous 6-0 win in the second session in the double header. The ‘Phins catapulted to 27-8-1, 12-4-1 in the conference, and 7-2 in the division with the four-game winning streak.  Stinson put together an absolute all-star performance, going 4-4 at the plate with two homeruns. Once again, the team had exceptional pitching. senior Ed Kohout went eight scoreless innings with seven strikeouts and Marra finished the game with a two-strikeout ninth inning.

This weekend, the team travels to Southern Connecticut State for three huge division games.