Out of the Archive: Fact Snacks

More stories from Julia Walsh '20

In honor of our revamped website, I would like to offer a few fun facts about Le Moyne. These are all topics that can be located through our updated Holdings page site at lemoyne.edu/archives. It is now simpler than ever to locate where in our archive your interest lies, so when you come in you can easily find what you are looking for! If any of these stories spark an interest in you, contact Father Bosch through the site, or me, your friendly neighborhood intern at [email protected].

The San Pablo Bouts

Today at Le Moyne there are always fundraisers going on for clubs and trips and all sorts of different causes. At the beginning of Le Moyne’s location on the Heights, this was less common, and big events were advertised to raise money for their chosen causes. From 1948 until 1953 Le Moyne held the San Pablo Bouts, a set of comedic boxing matches, to raise money for the San Pablo Mission of the Philippines. Young men volunteered to “fight” in a ring set up in the Grewen auditorium for a crowd. Here are some of the ‘Phin fighters

SEE IMAGES ATTACHED IN EMAIL

Physical Face-Book

Prior your first year, and throughout college Facebook, Instagram and Twitter help to connect students to one another, before you even come to campus. Before the explosion of smart devices, Le Moyne mailed out a “Who’s Who” booklet of the incoming class, featuring a school picture, name, hometown, high school and a couple interests. This way when the new students arrived, they didn’t have to start from scratch to get to know their classmates.

The Former Frosh ‘Phins

Freshman year is a nerve-wracking time, full of new experiences and traditions and changes. Apart from the first week, most first-years blend in and integrate into the student body. Back in the day, it wasn’t so simple. Freshman students in the 1950’s and 1960’s were required to wear beanie caps, green with FROSH in yellow letters, and name-pins at all times during class hours on campus. Tradition dictated freshman tipped their caps at senior students while in academic buildings, identifiable by their black robes. Yes, like the name of the year book. Seniors were required to wear black robes (comparable to Harry Potter’s) while attending class or on main campus until 1970. You can see photos and real beanies and robes on the second floor of the library in the display case, or by coming into the Archive.

So, come check us out to learn more!

Out of the Archive: Fact Snacks