Communter Column: Communter Advice

More stories from Nicholle Capria '21

We may have had a hot spell this week, but fall weather has started to set in. As we make our way through the second half of the semester, the advice is in order. After more than a month of commuting and talking with other commuters, I have compiled a list of advice for any commuters on campus to make the process easier and better.

1.  Get a meal plan: Chances are, you will be on campus more than you presumed when the semester began. You will be able to join friends several times a week at lunch or dinner, and it will save time for you when you normally would have to prepare a meal for yourself.
  2. Pack an overnight bag: You never know when you might have to stay on campus; you are from Syracuse, and you know that the roads are not always good in the winter.
  3. Plan out your parking situation: Lot C is less crowded Mondays and Wednesdays than it is Tuesdays and Thursdays. However, throughout the day, many more spots become available. If you do not want to walk all the way back later or at night, take some time in between classes to move your car to Lot C (but don’t steal my spot). If you still cannot find a spot, find a friend who leaves early and asks them to switch with you.
  4. Leave some of your books in your car: No one likes to walk back and forth a lot, but no one also wants to walk up the hill from Lot AA with their books for the whole day.
  5. Find places to go in between classes: Befriend some residents and give them a call in between classes or during your free time throughout the day. Go get some food off-campus with your friends or check out some of the stores on Erie Blvd; or hang out with someone in their resident hall. You can have more fun if you decide to branch out on campus and get a change of scenery.
  6. Join a club or attend an event that meets regularly: Check out some of the events that happen on campus every week or join a club that meets after classes or in the evening. It will be fun, and after you join, you will feel like you live on campus anyway.

Additionally, several commuter events will be going on in the second half of October and first half of November. On Wednesday, October 17, there will be a commuter lunch; on Thursday, October 25, commuters will have the opportunity to decorate pumpkins before Halloween. Furthermore, on Tuesday the sixth, cider and donuts will kick off the month of November; and on Saturday, November 10, drive up to campus for bowling or a movie (it is still being determined). More details will be sent out in an email. Finally, the Founder’s Day Gala is Friday, October 19. We are excited to celebrate members of the Le Moyne community who have contributed positively to our lives.

Communter Column: Communter Advice