Commuter Column: Interviews Round 1

More stories from Nicholle Capria '21

Fall has arrived, and so has the busy season of things to do on campus. Over the last week, I interviewed commuters to see what they had to say about the experience and how they are involved at Le Moyne. Each commuter I spoke to in the last week is not only heavily involved on-campus, but off-campus as well.

Stacie Cerenzia, Psychology and Theater double major and a Sophomore shares her opinion about commuting: “I have no problems with commuting, except with the parking.” She also says that commuting has not inhibited her from participating in on-campus activities at all. Cerenzia is a member of the Jazzuits and has a job off-campus. After college, she plans to work in school psychology and help to do shows as a faculty member.

Michaela Pullano likes commuting but does admit that it poses challenges since she takes advantage of a lot of opportunities that campus offers. She is a Junior Accounting Major, Co-President of CSO, representative of CSO in SGA, participates in Manresa, Peak, has a work study, and an off-campus job. “I like to be close to family,” Pullano says. “Commuting makes it easier to keep year-round jobs rather than relocating back and forth. Overall, commuting helped me find my niche at Le Moyne.”

Hunter Powell studies as a Junior Biology Major and a triple minor. He says, “Commuting has allowed me to meet more people from living in Syracuse. It has helped me network and takes advantage of the relationships I have made at the College.” Powell participates in the Jazzuits, PAC Boot & Buskin and Major Arcana shows, Biology Club, and is the President of Film Club. Off-campus, he works at a nursing home as a Certified Nursing Aide. He also does community theater at CNY Playhouse and the Baldwinsville Theater Guild.

Overall, they all had similar opinions about commuting and work hard on and off campus. Stay tuned for more interviews in the coming weeks!

Some things going on in the next week include Service Immersion trip auction from 4 to 7 p.m. in James Commons. The auction money collected will go toward the trip to El Salvador. Buy your tickets now; there will be performers and food samples from El Salvador and Ecuador. Stop by the chapel by October 21 with any old sweaters you would like to donate in preparation for the Mister Rogers Concert on Sunday, October 14, at 4 p.m. Additionally, this past week Le Moyne pushed for voter registration. If you are a commuter, you are even more affected by the election than the average student. Make sure to get registered and vote in the midterm election.

Fall break is next week, which means that we have almost made it halfway through the semester. Congratulations are in order!

Commuter Column: Interviews Round 1