#DolphinsLiveWell: Welcome to YANA Week. You Are Not Alone!

More stories from Maria C. Randazzo

We hope that you are all settling into your perspective routines: classes, clubs, work, social time and “me” time, also very important.  Self-care is the foundation of success in all of our endeavors, and it only makes sense to incorporate activities that bring you joy and peace into your hectic schedules!  Sometimes, though, that may not be enough, and you might need to reach out for some assist and support. We want you to know that not only is this, but it is perfectly normal.  We recognize that different challenges can creep up on you as you are going through this semester, and with everything else you have to manage and negotiate, life can become a bit overwhelming!  We are here to let you know that you do not have to go through this alone.

Next Monday begins YANA week, or for those who are new to our campus, “You Are Not Alone” Week.  There will be a variety of activities during this week, and the Wellness Center will be sponsoring one next Monday, September 24. at our Healthy Monday Table in front of the Dining Center.  As part of You Are Not Alone Week, we will be hosting our National Depression Screening Day. You will have the opportunity to meet the staff of the Counseling Center as well as some of our Wellness Ambassadors.  We will be asking you to take a few minutes and fill out a questionnaire for us, and, in return, we will have some treats!

Depression and suicide are ever-present on college campuses, including our own. We are aware that more and more students are coming to college already having been treated for depression and anxiety. A nationwide statistic found by the National Institute of Mental Health reports that 30 percent of college students have reported feeling so depressed in the last year that they can’t function. In addition, we also know that many students have had thoughts of suicide at one time or another. While the rate of suicide among college students is lower than that of the general population, somewhere between 6 and 8 percent of college students report having serious suicidal thoughts, and between 1 and 2 percent of students will actually attempt suicide each year.  The National Institute of Mental Health estimates that the rate of suicide among college students is about 7.5 per 100,000. The rate for the general population of young people ages 20 to 24 is about 13 per 100,000.

What we do know is that during  Fall semester 2017, 20% of students who used the Counseling Services at Le Moyne reported suicidal ideation.  While we know that not everyone who is depressed will think about suicide, we also know that most suicidal people have experienced depression and possibly anxiety. Our goal is to let you know that there is help available and that there is hope! We will have representatives from other community services available during our Healthy Monday event next week, as well including our local crisis agency,  CONTACT, and our domestic violence/sexual assault organization, Vera House.

If you or a friend is struggling, reach out to a professor, RA, AD, the Wellness Center, or Campus Ministry —  anyone on campus whom you trust — we are all here for you. The Le Moyne community wants you to know that YOU ARE NOT ALONE  and that Dolphins take care of each other!

For more information visit  https://www.jedfoundation.org/