Commuter Column: An Introduction

Welcome back to the 2018 fall semester to commuters and residents, and if you are a Freshman, welcome to the class of 2022 to Le Moyne College! To kick off the semester, there were performances, fireworks, food, games, and giveaways at Opening Night on Sunday, August 26. It is always a great way to let steam off before classes begin and to reunite with friends you may not have seen over the summer. There was also the schoolwide, annual Mass of the Holy Spirit on Wednesday, August 29, where the Campus Ministry choir and cantors shared their talents, and President Linda LeMura spoke.

For those students who want to join a new club or start one, syllabus week is busy—from sports clubs to PAC auditions, there is an endless and sometimes impossible list to choose from for ways to get involved on campus if you are looking to be a part of a group. If you are a commuter, you will not be missing on opportunities to get involved. It is quite the contrary! As a sophomore, I have already established firm ties to the campus and have a wide variety of friends. If you are a commuter and are ever at a loss of what may have occurred on campus, and whether you might be interested in events for the next week, rest assured you will find it in this column.

On Tuesday, August 28, at 9:00 p.m., anyone who wanted to start a new club was invited to the Pub for the Club Creation Meeting. Anyone who wishes to start a new club has until September 11 to do so. As for the rest of the week: The Noreen Reale Falcone Library will be officially reopening after being remodeled this summer on Wednesday, September 5, at 2:30 p.m. On that same day, there is an opening reception at the Wilson Art Gallery at 3:30 p.m. for those students interested in viewing art. On Thursday, September 6, there is a campus-wide blood drive in the Curtin Special Events Room from 12-6 p.m. There is also a Career Fair from 3:30-5:30 p.m. in the Recreation Center. Finally, on Sunday, September 9, “Suit Up” with the Dolphins at JCPenney in Destiny Mall from 5-8:00 p.m. If you sign up on the college website, you can get your professional attire at 40% off, as well as 25% off your bill at TGI Fridays, among other discounts. There are sure to be both commuters and residents at these campus-wide events happening all week! Whether you are a commuter or a Freshman at Le Moyne, these are important events to attend to feel community among your fellow Dolphins!

Here’s to the end of summer and a hopeful look at a busy and exciting semester. Commuters, here’s to your air-conditioned houses—any resident will tell you that the heat was unbearable this week (no sleeping in cars or waking up in your own sweat for us; true stories!)

Commuter Column: An Introduction