The Le Moyne Archives: Noreen’s Hidden Gem

I may be a bit biased here, but the archives in the right-back corner of the Noreen Falcone Library is one of the most interesting places on this campus. My name is Julia Walsh, and I’m a sophomore History-Political Science dual major and the current intern with Father Bosch in the archive. A lot of what I do pertains to cataloging, organizing and photocopying pieces of the collections so that they are available to students that wish to use them. The work we do seems to benefit the alumni, as we help with exhibits and collections for reunion events.

Another piece of what we do concerns where the history of Le Moyne and the culture of the future begin to blend. History majors in 301, the research methods class that prepares you for writing your thesis, should be familiar with the archives. A project for the class involves students exploring the archive and doing the beginnings of a large-scale research project. My first job here was to go through the files available to students.

What I found was fascinating. Dress code and women’s housing rules in the 1960s, the convoluted and somewhat unresolved history of Dolphy Day, and student and city reporting on a hate crime committed by students toward other students on our campus in 1986. The pieces of Le Moyne’s history as an institution had wound themselves up with our nation’s history in a way I thought unimaginable. How could this little campus in a suburb of Syracuse cause so much disruption over its reaction to Kent State? How could a graduate student be removed from his program without a behavioral infraction? Here?

All the stories of these events told by the people who lived them are available for students to read. For anyone to read! It is our duty, especially in an age of fake news and lying executives, to know our history. To know the college we attend and how it came to be. To know how we began with Bishop Foery’s idea for an institution meant for GI bill recipients to receive a Jesuit education in the wake of a global catastrophe. To know the first Jesuit institution headed by a lay woman, and a place of knowledge, community and level-headed conflict.

You can read these documents, all you have to do is come in, introduce yourself to Father Bosch and be open minded and ready to learn. Stay tuned for more on these stories….