Animal Testing and the Beauty Industry

More stories from Kayla Curtin

Ending the Stigma
March 17, 2018
Tarte Shape Tape
February 15, 2018

Animal testing has been a common practice since the days of Aristotle. Back then, they used animals to test out biomedical practices before performing them on human beings. In today’s world, we see the beauty community test out its products on animals before sending them out to consumers.

While some see this as a good thing, a majority of the population has taken it upon themselves to try and avoid products that still test on animals. Unfortunately, even in the year 2018, there are still major brands in cosmetics that the average consumer may not know still test on animals.

According to, the US spends approximately $16 billion dollars for the testing of cosmetics on animals a year. The catch is, even though the US government looks down upon brands testing on animals, there are still some governments in the world such as China where animal testing is required in order to sell products in their countries. Brands such as “MAC” cosmetics who claim to be cruelty free also sell their products in China. The pieces of that puzzle just do not seem to fit.

While some brands who do test on animals make a quality product, is it really worth your hard earned money knowing an innocent animal was harmed in the making of the product? There are ways to know if your product has been given the all clear.

The symbol of a rabbit is known to be the universal logo for cruelty-free. Another way to know your product is free of animal testing is checking to see if the brand or product is “vegan”, meaning it was not tested on animals and contains no animal by-products. While not all non-vegan brands are bad, some may just contain a form of milk.

Research is the easiest and most informative way to make sure your favorite products are free of animal testing. The more the public draws attention to these companies and their ethics, the more the consumer population can see waves of change. Here are some brands that DO test on animals: Clinique, Maybelline, Avon, NARS, MAC, LA MER, Benefit, Makeup For Ever, Victoria’s Secret, L’Oreal, CoverGirl, and Sephora (Brand). The list is bigger. The more you research your favorite brands the more you know. The way to combat the moral flaw in these companies is commenting, posting, writing, calling, or boycotting. The choice is yours.

Skincare tip of the week: Facemasks, no matter your skin type, are important. Finding a good facemask to do at least once a week can make a difference in your skin. Companies make masks for all skin types and can be purchased anywhere from 99¢ to $100. Freeman beauty often has facemasks for $1.00 and often run sales at Walmart, Target, and Ulta Beauty.

Makeup dupes for thought:

MAC “Fix+” $21.00 vs. Elf “Makeup Mist & Set” $3.00

Benefit “Dandelion” $28.00 vs. Rimmel London “Pink Sorbet” $4.00

MAC “Russian Red” $17.50 vs. Colourpop “Weekender” $6.00

*Food for thought: Colourpop donates all profits of their collab with Laura Lee to Los Angeles animal shelters*

Social Media Auto Publish Powered By :
Animal Testing and the Beauty Industry