#DolphinsLiveWell Groups Can Help!

More stories from Maria Randazzo

Got Gratitude?
September 28, 2017

Welcome to this week’s edition of Dolphins Live Well.  We at the Wellness center hope you are moving  towards the end of the semester in a healthy and productive manner as we know this can be a particularly stressful time. That is why this week’s Healthy Monday tabling outside of the cafeteria was focused on stress management.  We  understand that while midterms are over, there still is  some time to go before the end of the semester.  These next few weeks will include papers and projects and tests (“oh my!”) and can create feelings of being overwhelmed and unmotivated. At this point in the semester, it may not only be  academics that are creating stress.   It can also be a time where relationships (or lack there of!) can be creating turmoil in your life, dealing with the loss of a loved one as we head toward the holidays, and just feeling like with classes and homework, is this all there is??

In order to help you navigate this time period, we’d like to offer some extra support that you might find helpful. The Wellness Center currently has five different groups taking place throughout the week. While it might be intimidating to think about participating in a group, keep in mind that talking to  peers about your concerns and challenges is incredibly helpful because they are experiencing the same same challenges and can understand what you are going through, offer feedback, and let you know that you’re not alone!

The Relationship Series (Monday 1PM – 2 PM)::  A weekly group that helps you connect with others and develop social skills, while also assisting you in learning to negotiate healthy boundaries with other people  in your life such as family, friends, and romantic relationships.

Study Skills and Strategies Coaching Group (Tuesday 1 PM-2 PM):  This group is more educational where each week various techniques and interventions are explored to help with issues such as time management, procrastination, and motivation.

Crafting with Kim (Wednesday and Thursday 11 AM – 1 PM):  The research shows that play is so important for the nourishing and recharging of our spirits.  This is a group where you can take a break and relax and socialize with others while at the same time nurturing your creative side by engaging in various crafting activities.  

Substance Abuse Group (Friday 12:30 PM- 1:30 PM): if you ever wanted to look at your substance use because it has caused you problems, large or small, this is the place to do it!  This is a non-judgemental support group that does not require abstinence to participate.  It allows students to explore the reasons for their drinking or use of other drugs, learn about the connection between emotions and  substance use, and  receive support and feedback from peers with similar concerns.

Grief Group (Friday 1 PM – 2 PM):  In this group, you will find support and help from your peers on being able to cope with the loss of important people in your life. The group  will explore and discuss the nature of grief and how it is different for each individual yet recognize and share common themes and experiences.

All of the groups are facilitated by 1-2 staff members from the Wellness Center and take place in Seton Hall.  Groups are open to all students and you can come anytime: appointment not necessary! We hope that you will consider taking advantage of this additional support and will find one of these groups interesting enough to attend.  For more informaion, please call the Wellness Center at (315)  445-4195.

#DolphinsLiveWell Groups Can Help!