How to Knock the Block

More stories from Becca Malachowski

Harrison Hall: Safe or Not?
September 14, 2017

The dreaded writer’s block is commonly feared among avid writers. I’ve actually been toying with the monster myself. But, I have some tips and tricks that I use to get over writer’s block as well as tips and tricks experts swear by. So have a pen and paper nearby because you might just have some new ideas at the end of this article.

The first thing I do when I’ve succumbed to writers block is begin to focus on writing something else. I’ll write companion stories to the story I have to finish, I’ll write poetry, or I’ll do writing prompts. Writing prompts are very helpful and even experienced writers swear by them. They take your mind off the story you’re stressing over writing or the paper you just can’t seem to finish and enhance your creativity. They’re definitely worth the time because they can even give you ideas about the work you’re stuck on.

Experts say reading is a great way to overcome writer’s block. When you read books, they immerse you in a completely new environment where your writer’s block is not a concern. Most people find great inspiration in the books they love to read. It also helps to read some of your previous work––you might be able to even recall other times when you beat the dreaded block. When you read your own work, try to read it aloud. It’ll be easier to find the mistakes you’ve made when you can actually hear how the words sound.

A change in environment can be good and get your creative juices flowing again. Try going to a restaurant; good food can inspire you and heighten your senses. And when in doubt, go to a bookstore! Being around books can give you inspiration, every time. If you can’t go out, change up the environment that you’re already in. Organize your desk, do the laundry, or even clean your room. Anything that will make your work area brighter and more user friendly.

It also helps to do things you wouldn’t normally do. Listen to music you don’t usually listen to or deter from your normal writing schedule. These changes can inspire you or get you out of a rut if you’ve been working on the same thing for a long time. Even writing about your writer’s block can be helpful in many ways. Experts swear by these changes because they increase brain power. They will be new, and a little strange, to you.

Writing about what you’re most interested in makes it a whole lot easier to write. I know you can chose all your writing assignment topics, but if you can, chose something you’re really passionate about. Something you’re interested in, love, or something that makes you furious are the best topics to write about. With those topics, you can go on for hours!

But before you start, make sure your idea or piece of work is worth pursuing. If a piece is causing you more trouble than you think it’s worth, it’s okay to scrap it and move on. You don’t need to pressure yourself to be perfect. These things happen! Don’t panic and don’t worry. Everything will work itself out in the end.

• How to Knock the Block

Emmy 2017 Predictions

• How to Knock the Block

• How to Knock the Block

• How to Knock the Block

• How to Knock the Block

It is Time to Say Goodbye, ‘Melo

• How to Knock the Block

Opinion

Through My Spectacles: Le Moyne Was Everything

• How to Knock the Block

Who’s The 2017 King of Hip-Hop?

• How to Knock the Block

Le Moyne Women’s Lacrosse extends win streak to 14

• How to Knock the Block

• How to Knock the Block

The Middle States Team Comes to Le Moyne for Accreditation Review

How to Knock the Block