Le Moyne’s Blue Light System Needs Some Work

Sarah Willard '19, Staff Writer

Safety is considered a luxury, one that many appreciate having. But when it comes to walking around Le Moyne’s campus, many argue that the blue light system doesn’t sufficiently provide its community the opportunity to participate in the luxury of safety. This is a major concern for some students, especially with the more recent and constant police presence in the areas surrounding campus.

Sophomore Jess Schafer, who lives in Harrison, expressed that she doesn’t necessarily feel safe when making her way through campus. “They tell you that when you’re in trouble, you’re supposed to run between the blue lights, so they know which way you’re going and can help,” said Schafer. “The fact that I can’t see the next blue light from the one near the chapel makes me feel like I’m not safe at all.”

The blue light system is on almost every college campus across America, allowing students the ability to access a “safety button” for when they feel in danger. Seconds after pressing the button, 911 is called and help is provided to the person(s).

Students need to feel safe on campus, as it is considered home for them for a majority of the year. The purpose of the blue light system is to make students, and their parents, feel more comfortable with walking throughout campus at anytime of the day.

The walkway from the library to the residence halls of St. Mary’s and Harrison is one that many students feel needs to be carried out with more safety precautions. Not only should a blue light be provided in this area for the students walking to and from the library late at night, but there should be a street lamp there as well. The fact that people standing on opposite ends of the walkway can’t see each other is a problem.

If safety is truly one of Le Moyne’s major concerns, better measures need to be taken to provide the community with some peace of mind. The blue light system is already implemented on campus, but it needs to have a more prominent presence on campus––especially when the college is in such close proximity to areas that are frequently visited by the police.

“Especially with that woman found last year and the shootings this year, it would be a comfort to know that the blue light systems were more prevalent on campus,” said sophomore Erin Pepe. “It’s not so much that the campus makes me feel unsafe, but rather what goes on outside of our campus.”

• Le Moyne’s Blue Light System Needs Some Work

The SGA Election: What You Need to Know

Top 10 Biopics of All-Time

• Arts & Leisure

Macbeth in Concert: A Bold Renewal of a Classic

President Linda LeMura Paid Less Than Former President Fred Pestello

• News & Features

Le Moyne’s Fashion Club Honors Women

Le Moyne’s First Fashion Show

Never Again

Le Moyne Baseball Using Hot Bats and Shut Down Pitching to Propel Their 2018 Season

• Arts & Leisure

“Islamic Spain: An Encounter of Musical Cultures” Review

Animal Farm Preview