Krafting with Kim

Krafting with Kim

Becca Malachowski '20, Staff Writer

If you’ve been looking for a place to relax and make amazingly cool crafts, then Krafting with Kim Simmons in the Wellness Center is the place and activity for you!

For those of you who don’t know, the Wellness Center is located in Seaton Hall behind the baseball field. The staff is especially kind and Simmons, one of the secretaries, is just waiting to share her crafting group with the entire Le Moyne community.

Krafting with Kim meets Thursdays and Fridays from 12 p.m. to 2 p.m. in The Wellness Center’s upper level. This crafting group is fairly new, as it began in Sept. 2016. However, Kim and the students hope to make Krafting with Kim an official club on campus. The group does a variety of crafts such as crocheting, jewelry, knitting and ceramics, which they can keep or donate to hospitals. To join this crafty bunch, there are no qualifications; you don’t need to know how to knit, crochet or how to make any other crafts. Just come willing to participate in the crafts and you’ll be golden.

Simmons is devoted to the students and crafts––she just wants everyone to be comfortable. Her students describe her as patient, and I would definitely have to agree. While I was interviewing Kim and some of the students in the group, Kim invited me to make a craft with them. I had no idea how to make the craft, or any craft for that matter, but Kim was calm and patient as I learned how to make the craft of the day. By the end of the 30 minutes, I had a beautiful pair of gold leaf earrings that I would never have thought I could make.

When I first met Simmons, I could tell that she loved the Wellness Center and what she does there. Krafting with Kim has already become a Wellness Center staple. Simmons got her start in the crafting business when her mother taught her how to crochet years ago. Later, she ventured into different types of crafts as a young military wife. Simmon’s husband was in the Army and she would get together with the other wives to teach each other new and different crafts, which Simmons says “helped us pass the time and be social.”

While talking to the students in Simmon’s group, I realized that not only do they all enjoy the crafts but they also all really enjoy her and the group’s relaxing qualities. I was only there for a short time, but Simmons converted me. I will be going to meetings once this group is transformed into the club it deserves to be.