Meet Le Moyne’s newest Jesuit: Father Bucki

Aubrey Zych, Co-News & Features Editor

As many students have already noticed, there is a new smiling face around the heights this year. Le Moyne is excited to welcome Father John Bucki, S.J. as Le Moyne’s new director of campus ministry and latest addition to the Jesuit community.

Fr. Bucki comes to Le Moyne from Buffalo, NY, where he served as the director of campus ministry at Canisius College. He served the Jesuit community of Canisius for 11 years up until last May, when the Jesuit Superior General appointed him as the Rector of Community at Le Moyne College..

“I’m really excited about being here,” Fr. Bucki said. “I’m really honored to be the Rector of Community and to be working with such great students.”

Along with his position as Rector of Community, Fr. Bucki will be working as the director of campus ministry and as a member of the Board of Directors.

“I’m here to create connections between the Jesuits and the students,” Fr. Bucki said.

Fr. Bucki brings a vast and interesting background to his new position at Le Moyne. A native of Buffalo, NY, Bucki began his Jesuit studies at an early age. After graduating from the Jesuit Canisius High School, he immediately began the novitiate (the first step towards becoming a Jesuit), by taking courses at Le Moyne and Fordham University. He also studied theology in Berkeley, CA. From there, Bucki taught mathematics and computer science in high schools across New York City, traveled to Benin City, Nigeria to work at a Jesuit parish, travelled to the Philippines, and worked in Manhattan, NY, helping the homeless and constructing spirituality programs. Bucki finally moved back to his hometown of Buffalo to work at Canisius.

“Coming to Le Moyne, I’m bringing a background in education from my high school teaching days, an international experience from my travels to the Philippines and Nigeria and also a religious background from my time as a priest and director of campus ministries,” explained Bucki.

Despite his teaching background, Fr. Bucki isn’t currently teaching any classes at Le Moyne. “I want to keep my focus on campus ministry for now,” he said. “But you never know, we’ll see what happens. Maybe I’ll teach a class in the future.”

While here, Fr. Bucki says he hopes to make his excitement for the Jesuit mission contagious around campus.

“Wherever I go, I like to bring enthusiasm, joy, energy, (and) excitement,” he said. “I think the Jesuit Catholic vision is exciting and awesome and life-giving and I like to see other people also get excited about that.”

Fr. Bucki welcomes students to stop by his office in the Panasci Family Chapel to say hello and introduce themselves. “I want to get to know everyone on campus,” he said. “Everyone here has something great to share, and I’d love to hear it.”

For the student body as a whole, Fr. Bucki’s famous words of advice are “relax” and “have confidence.”

“Do that, and you’ll do really great stuff,” he added.