The Human Condition: Changes

Mariah Senecal, Staff Writer

Sometime, somewhere a very wise person said “Change is inevitable.” Guess what? They were right. Change occurs daily in our lives, so often that one may not even realize it is happening. Every day you  are aging and you make decisions that take you farther away from your life’s starting point. Try as you might, things aren’t always going to remain the same.

Freshmen, at some point during the summer before leaving for college, you probably came to the realization that things were never going to be the quite like they used to be. From that point on you would be a guest in your own home and your high school friends would all be going their separate ways. However, there is a light at the end of that tunnel; you have the ability to start over in an all new environment. You’re also now able to make changes so that you can become the person that you see yourself in the future to be.

You also have the opportunity to make choices about the people you involve yourself with and what impact you will have on them or they will have on you.  We’ve all had that ‘friend’ that isn’t really our friend somewhere along the way. The great thing about college is, you get to handpick the people that you think fit you best. You can keep in touch with the people who were important to you in high school and also branch out to people in your college community.

In a totally different vein, change can also be truly painful sometime. You may have lost your job or perhaps lost someone to whom you were close, but these situations only make you a stronger person. The way that one deals with these changes shows one’s true character. I’m not anticipating you to grin and bear it, but focusing on the negativity of the change and moping around in your pajamas all day isn’t going to improve things. When these unfortunate circumstances occur, you allow yourself some time to recover, and then forge on. Life doesn’t stop and neither should you. If you focuses on these negative occurrences, chances are that you will miss out on something potentially wonderful and will never get to where you’d like to be.

At the risk of sounding cheesy, I’m going to give you a quote from the movie “Bridesmaids.” A friend offers these words of advice in a time of need: “You are the problem, and you are also the solution.” So if you are having trouble dealing with change in your life, perhaps you just need to  re-examine the situation and try it a different way.