Nana Kwame Adjei-Brenyah’s visit at Le Moyne
Kamilla Shahzad, Staff Writer • May 17, 2024

On April 18 th , 2024, Le Moyne College had the privilege of hosting a special guest, acclaimed author Nana Kwame Adjei-Brenyah, who delighted...

Column: The Long Journey at Le Moyne
Column: The Long Journey at Le Moyne
Mary Anne Winfield, Guest Writer • May 17, 2024

I never expected to be a “senior” senior at Le Moyne College. My first introduction to the college was in the 1970’s. I was a two-year...

Theta Chi house at Colgate University
Column: Why I want to see Greek life at Le Moyne College.
Payton Hirsch, Guest Writer • May 17, 2024

At Le Moyne College there is no presence of “Greek Life,” which has left many wondering why. According to Joseph Della Posta, the school’s...

Photo courtesy of Le Moyne; Images of Officer Jensen, Onondaga County Sheriff’s Lt. Hoosock posted at memorial service.
‘A True Leader and Phenomenal Teammate’: Remembering Fallen Officer, a Le Moyne Graduate
Stephen Moore and Aidan Clark May 8, 2024

The Rev. William Dolan wants you to know what the community lost when Michael Jensen, a Syracuse police officer and a Le Moyne graduate, was...

Dr. James Carroll: The Donation that Rewrote Le Moyne  College’s History
Dr. James Carroll: The Donation that Rewrote Le Moyne College’s History
Legende McGrath, Guest Writer • May 7, 2024

In late March, Le Moyne College, specifically the College of Arts and Sciences, received a $12 million donation provided by Le Moyne alumnus...

Le Moyne College Responds to Surge in Campus Car Break-ins

In response to a recent series of car break-ins across campus, Derek McGork, director of Security, used a recent interview with The Dolphin to lay out a comprehensive strategy to address and mitigate the ongoing issue, highlighting a collaborative effort with local law enforcement and community schools to keep the campus safe.

Recent months have seen an unsettling rise in car break-ins at Le Moyne College, particularly targeting Kia and Hyundai vehicles due to a widely known design flaw that allows these cars to be started without a key. These incidents, peaking last fall and surging again in mid-to-late January, have been predominantly executed by juveniles, with the youngest involved being just 10 years old.

In response, the campus security team, with the aid of the DeWitt police and the Onondaga County Sheriff’s Office, successfully apprehended the perpetrators behind the most recent break-ins. This collaborative effort has led to increased patrols and heightened surveillance around the clock, especially during vulnerable hours. “We’ve increased patrols… hired overtime to put additional staff out patrolling the lots, especially during the afternoon and overnight hours,” McGork stated.

Moreover, the college has taken proactive steps to educate the community on preventing such vulnerabilities. Through campus-wide announcements, Le Moyne has encouraged students, faculty, and staff owning Kias and Hyundais to utilize a free service campaign by the car manufacturers to fix the software issue enabling these thefts.

In addition to bolstering physical security measures, the college has ramped up its technological arsenal, installing new surveillance cameras across campus to monitor and intervene in suspicious activities more effectively.

McGork also highlighted the importance of community vigilance and responsibility in maintaining a safe environment. He shared instances where alert students and staff reporting suspicious behavior led to the quick resolution of potential threats. “If you see anybody suspicious, give us a call.” he urged.

Beyond immediate security responses, Le Moyne College is also working closely with community schools to engage at-risk juveniles in more productive activities in an attempt to address the root causes of such behavior.

For those affected by the break-ins, the college provides support through various departments, with Student Development often reaching out to offer assistance tailored to the nature of the incident to ensure that victims receive the necessary help and guidance to navigate the aftermath of such events.

As Le Moyne College continues to fortify its campus against these break-ins, the community’s role in adhering to safety recommendations cannot be overstated. Locking vehicles, securing valuables, and maintaining awareness are pivotal in preventing future incidents. For any concerns or to report suspicious activities, students and staff are encouraged to contact Campus Security directly at (315) 445-4444 or through the Le Moyne SAFE App.