Le Moyne Bans Donation Bins in Residence Halls

John Haley stands next to donation bins located in the Office of Campus Life and Leadership.

Megan Pieczonka, Staff Writer

Donation bins have not been put in residence halls since the beginning of October because of past abuse, said John Haley, the Director of Campus Life and Leadership.
Haley said trash in the bins, which led to bugs, and not knowing if things were stolen from the bins were the reasons for their removal.
“We would have kids who were supposed to throw their garbage out in the dumpster, they would just take their bag and throw it in the big box that was in the hallway. That’s just not very classy,” Haley said.
The donation bins, which were put in buildings by groups on campus, were used to collect items like food, coats, clothing, and blankets, Haley said. He added that social service clubs on campus primarily used the bins.
“So the [bins] weren’t permanent, students would usually take cardboard boxes and, kind of decorate them, sometimes they did a good job, sometimes they whipped it together, but the only buildings we’d put them in were St. Mary’s, Harrison, Foery, Nelligan, and Dablon,” Haley said. He also said the new bins are located in the Office of Campus Life and Leadership and the chapel.
Last year, in the lobby of St. Mary’s, someone put an empty soda cup in a donation bin for sweaters.
Students would put trash in the bins, especially food, as they were walking by because there are no provided garbage cans in the residence halls, Billy Eccleston, a senior and second year RA, said.
“At the point that they were abused, people stopped using them as donation bins and a lot of people just followed along and threw their garbage in them,” Eccleston said.
Alpha Sigma Nu, which is the Jesuit Honor Society, is currently doing a coat drive. The group has used donation bins in the past and did not have a problem with trash, said Eileen Familo, an Administrative Assistant at Le Moyne.
Alpha Sigma Nu had donation bins in the residence halls last year, but Hunter Powell, the current president of the group, told Familo that most of their donations came from the bin in the chapel, said Familo. “So we’re hoping that it doesn’t have as big of an impact, but that’s kind of yet to be seen because the drive is still on,” Familo said.
Haley said it might be beneficial to find other ways of collecting donations.
“I do think that there’s probably other ways that they can collect things that would be more effective,” he said. “I would love to work with clubs if they want to do that.”
Familo said she thinks it’s necessary to clearly communicate with students where the bins will be located.
“It might be necessary in the future for us to actually go and pick stuff up from students,” Familo said. “We might have to explore other options to make it easy and convenient for people to donate.”