A-PLUS Program at Le Moyne

Back to Article
Back to Article

A-PLUS Program at Le Moyne

The C-STEP and A-PLUS office located in Romero Hall.

Elizabeth Morgan

Elizabeth Morgan

Elizabeth Morgan

Le Moyne launched the A-PLUS Program to help students gain academic and professional skills to further student success.

According to Lauren Van Derzee, the assistant director of the A-PLUS Program, the program is modeled after the C-STEP program and will provide students with added resources including, weekly meetings, tutoring, workshops, advising, and internships in order to guide students to advance academically.

Van Derzee said that the purpose of this program is to increase student academic, professional and personal achievements necessary to complete their degrees to students in the social sciences and the humanities.

“It provides underrepresented and economically disadvantaged students with services and activities that prepare them for entry into professional careers and graduate study in related disciplines,” Van Derzee said. She states that in the past, there has not been a program at Le Moyne that serves students in the social science and humanities the same way, but A-PLUS will provide aid for “student’s academic, professional and personal success to complete their degrees.”

The C-STEP Program has enrolled 214 students. Of the 214, over one-third consistently make the Dean’s list, two-thirds maintain at least a grade point average of 3 or above and 98% graduate within four years, Van Derzee said. The A-PLUS Program will enroll 40 students and aims for similar outcomes.

A-PLUS also aims to serve the mission of the college. Students enrolled in A-PLUS must be full-time students, New York and out of state students and be interested in pursuing professional careers or graduate school in social sciences and the humanities.

Students have reacted positively to the launch of A-PLUS. “This program really exemplifies Le Moyne’s goals for their students,” junior Karen Silaika said. “Both A-PLUS and C-STEP benefits students not only in their current education but will benefit them in their future professions.”

Junior Madeline Gallagher sees the program as a big opportunity for students attending Le Moyne. “I think that the A-PLUS program is a great way to facilitate good relationships between faculty and students,” Gallagher said. “ I believe that is a key component to academic success and I think it offers a wide range of options to guide students towards success.”

The A-PLUS Program launched the week of Oct. 29 however, applications are still accepted on a rolling basis.

• A-PLUS Program at Le Moyne

New Grant from McNeil Family Goes Towards New Risk Management and Insurance Major

• A-PLUS Program at Le Moyne

Le Moyne College Occupational Therapy Department Hires New Chair

• A-PLUS Program at Le Moyne

Playwright Kyle Bass Speaks at Le Moyne

• A-PLUS Program at Le Moyne

Foery Hall Custodial Staff No Longer Cleans Suites’ Bathrooms

• A-PLUS Program at Le Moyne

Penny Wars Relies on Loose Change to Fundraise for Hurricane Relief Efforts

• A-PLUS Program at Le Moyne

Le Moyne College hires Rochelle Robinson, Violence Prevention Educator, after receiving a Grant from the Department of Justice for Sexual Assault Prevention

• A-PLUS Program at Le Moyne

48 Hour Film Project

• A-PLUS Program at Le Moyne

Craft Talk and Reading with Poet Gabriel Fitzmaurice

• A-PLUS Program at Le Moyne

Inclusivity and Bias at Le Moyne

• A-PLUS Program at Le Moyne

Educating the Whole Artist

A-PLUS Program at Le Moyne