Penny Wars Relies on Loose Change to Fundraise for Hurricane Relief Efforts

Michael Songer, a junior JUHAN fellow, helps sort coins for the Penny Wars competition with junior
Daniel Mulvihill and senior Matthew Pollock in the Le Moyne Den on Oct 17.

Michael Songer, a junior JUHAN fellow, helps sort coins for the Penny Wars competition with junior Daniel Mulvihill and senior Matthew Pollock in the Le Moyne Den on Oct 17.

Carolyn Giusti

Carolyn Giusti

Residence halls will be competing in a fundraising effort for the next two weeks to raise money for hurricane relief.

JUHAN, the Jesuit Universities Humanitarian Action Network, is running an initiative for hurricane relief efforts after Hurricane Florence and Hurricane Michael devastated communities in the past two months.

The fundraiser will take place within the residence halls beginning Monday, October 22nd and ran until Friday, November 2nd. There will be a collection jar in each hall. Students can drop their change into the collection jar for points. The fundraiser relies on pennies over other types of coins and dollars. Pennies are one point, but other types of money take away points. Nickels are minus five points, dimes are minus 10, quarters are minus 25 and dollar bills are minus 100 points. Students are inclined to “sabotage” other dorms by donating higher amounts of money in other buildings. The dorm with the most points will win a bagel breakfast party sponsored by JUHAN, the Residence Hall association, and Wegmans.

Michael Songer, the junior JUHAN fellow in charge of the project, came up with this idea last year, for a similar
relief effort. Songer says that last year, the fundraiser raised approximately $220 in pennies. He hopes this year will surpass that total and raise between $400 and $500. This two-week campaign is a competition. Residence halls compete against each other for the most points.

Alice Zicari, from Campus Ministry, helped to organize this effort. “It’s a great way to have some competitive fun with our campus community!” Zicari said. Zicari coordinates the service immersion trips for Le Moyne and is Songer’s supervisor for JUHAN. She said that it is important for students at Le Moyne to help people outside their immediate surroundings.

“While those who were affected by the hurricanes may not be a part of our direct community in Syracuse, they are part of the larger community of the world,” Zacari said. “We have a responsibility to help those who are in need.”

It was Songer’s decision to raise money for hurricane relief this year. Hurricane Florence formed in late August and impacted the eastern coast of the United States, Bermuda, and Cape Verde throughout September. Hurricane Michael formed and hit only a few weeks later in October. It impacted Central America, Atlantic islands, Florida, and states on the eastern coast of the United States. Songer felt this was an appropriate relief effort to focus on for JUHAN’s October initiative of financial support. He emphasized the importance of being global citizens and helping elsewhere.

“On campus, we are often focused on Syracuse community, which is amazing, but I think it is also important to have a global perspective and expand it outward,” Songer said. “We have all these wonderful people at Le Moyne who want to help others, we might as well share them with the rest of the world.”

Jacob Kidd, a junior living in Harrison Hall, said he is excited to participate in the fundraiser. After hearing the catastrophic aftermath of the hurricanes, he realized that pennies could add up if many people participate.

“It is fun and easy, and Penny Wars appeals to everyone since everyone has pennies they do not know what to do with. This is a great way to dispose of pennies.” After the competition ends, Songer will have the task of counting the donations and awarding the winners the hall-wide bagel breakfast party.

• Penny Wars Relies on Loose Change to Fundraise for Hurricane Relief Efforts

Foery Hall Custodial Staff No Longer Cleans Suites’ Bathrooms

Le Moyne College hires Rochelle Robinson, Violence Prevention Educator, after receiving a Grant from the Department of Justice for Sexual Assault Prevention

48 Hour Film Project

Craft Talk and Reading with Poet Gabriel Fitzmaurice

Inclusivity and Bias at Le Moyne

Educating the Whole Artist

• News & Features

Kavanaugh Nomination Reveals Deep Partisan Divide

• News & Features

Le Moyne College and Pomeroy College of Nursing at Crouse Hospital Partner in New Three-Year Nursing Program

Between the Bookstacks

John McCain, Maverick and Leader