Foery Hall Custodial Staff No Longer Cleans Suites’ Bathrooms

More stories from Elizabeth Morgan

Elizabeth MorganSophomore Haley Synan cleans up dirty dishes on top of the second floor vending machines.

Elizabeth Morgan

Elizabeth Morgan

Foery Hall custodial staff is no longer required to clean students’ bathrooms in order to provide students with more privacy in their personal spaces.

According to Jed Schneider, the Assistant Vice President of Facilities Management and Planning, the reassignment of the cleaning staff was lead by the idea to grant students with more privacy.

Schneider states that thus far, the custodial staff has been required to clean the common areas of the building which includes stairways, hallways, lounges, and common area bathrooms. “Part of the change to the service is to provide students with more privacy in their personal space and mirror the services of the apartments on campus,” Schneider said. He states that “our community will benefit from this change in service by having work done more intentionally where there is an increased need in other areas on campus.”

Due to the increased need in other areas on campus, Schneider explains, one of the two custodians working in Foery has been reassigned to the Coyne Science Center.

Since the cleaning staff no longer enters suites in Foery, one of the most common issues is that they will no longer be able to restock the toilet paper dispensers. Schneider explains that when students need to refill their dispensers, their Resident Advisor will be able to hand out toilet paper from the storage area while they are on duty.

Residents living in Foery Hall this year have reacted negatively to the changes. “I am upset by the change because we were given no warning and once we got to school we still were uninformed,” Foery Hall resident Clare Donovan said. “From what I have heard, the custodial staff is supposed to clean the communal areas. However, the second-floor vending machines are accumulating dishes and the floors and stairways are often dirty.”

Nick Kattato, Foery Hall Resident Advisor, believes these changes do not have much effect on residents other than adding a few new responsibilities. “Understandably, the reactions of students initially were negative, but as the semester has progressed they have gotten used to it,” Kattato states. “In a few years, I expect that it will be commonplace in the building to clean your own bathroom.”

Students residing in Foery Hall are encouraged to see their Resident Advisors with any issues or concerns regarding the changes.

• Foery Hall Custodial Staff No Longer Cleans Suites’ Bathrooms

Penny Wars Relies on Loose Change to Fundraise for Hurricane Relief Efforts

Le Moyne College hires Rochelle Robinson, Violence Prevention Educator, after receiving a Grant from the Department of Justice for Sexual Assault Prevention

48 Hour Film Project

Craft Talk and Reading with Poet Gabriel Fitzmaurice

Inclusivity and Bias at Le Moyne

Educating the Whole Artist

• News & Features

Kavanaugh Nomination Reveals Deep Partisan Divide

• News & Features

Le Moyne College and Pomeroy College of Nursing at Crouse Hospital Partner in New Three-Year Nursing Program

Between the Bookstacks

John McCain, Maverick and Leader