Battery Recycling Containers to Appear in Academic Buildings

More stories from Elizabeth Morgan

Nine containers meant for recycling batteries have appeared in Le Moyne’s academic buildings which will decrease the amount of waste produced by the college.

According to Eric Foertch, the Director of Environmental Health, Safety & Sustainability at Le Moyne, the change in recycling policies was led by the college’s mission to educate the community better on recycling.

Foertch states that thus far, Le Moyne’s biggest challenge is that they are only allowed 5 to 10% of contaminated waste in their recycled material. “Because of the enforcement from OCRRA and Waste Management, that percentage is down to a half percent,” Foertch says. He stated that when a recycling load exceeds the 5 to 10 percent of contaminated waste “loads will be rejected and we will have to go
ahead and pay a surcharge for a separate time for a truck to come up and remove that recycle bin as a solid waste.”

A major factor in coming up with the recycling changes, Foertch explains, is that we need to focus on spreading awareness to the community and the use of these battery containers is another visual step to keeping that message out there.

Students on campus have reacted positively to being informed of the new change. “This extra step Le Moyne is taking to reduce the total amount of batteries that end up in the landfills is really vital to our earth. I usually save my batteries and give them to my dad and he disposes of them,” sophomore Sarah Fellows said. “This will definitely be a lot less of a hassle.”

Kylee Wilson, a senior Environmental Science Systems Major and President of FORCES, has used these containers in the past. “I actually think they’re great, we used them in the physics lab all last year,” Wilson explains. “Batteries have a bunch of metals in them that can really harm the environment if they leak so I’m really happy to see them take a step in the right direction by having a separate disposal location.”

Containers will be located in all academic buildings including a few in the Science Center, Grewen, Reilly, Mitchell Hall, the library, and even campus center. Although students and faculty are not required to use them, they are encouraged to use these containers in order to keep batteries out of the waste stream.