WHY LE MOYNE OPTED OUT OF GIVING STUDENTS $6,000

More stories from Victoria Woods

Le Moyne College opted out of the Enhanced Tuition Awards because of the residency working requirements.

“As far as the Enhanced Tuition Award and why we opted out earlier this year, we felt that the residency requirement would be too burdensome for our graduates given the tight job market,” said Joe Della Posta, Director of Communications & Public Affairs. “This requirement limits their opportunities by taking away the benefit of graduates tapping into our alumni network outside of New York where many get jobs.”

The timing of the program has also been criticized. “There was also an issue of the timing of when the program was introduced, which made it very difficult for us to do the match that is required for the ETA,” said Della Posta.

The Enhanced Tuition Award was a financial aid program created by New York state to provide students with free tuition. It “provides tuition awards to students… attending a private college located in New York State,” according to the Higher Education Services Corporation website.

In order to be eligible for the aid recipients must have stayed in New York state for a constant 12 months. The recipient and their family must have made a combined income of less than $100,000 on the family’s 2015 tax return. Students who were eligible would’ve had to live
and work in New York state for as many years as they received the aid award.

A student that received financial aid from the college would receive the maximum reward of $6,000. The entire award consisted of the New York State TAP, the Enhanced Tuition Award, and then Le Moyne college had to pay the rest of the Enhanced Tuition Award to meet the total amount of the award.

Le Moyne College is one of the many private colleges that made the choice to not go ahead with additional tuition assistance. Syracuse University, Colgate University and Cazenovia College are just some of the other institutions that also opted out
of the tuition aid program.

Finance major Daijah Metcalf stated, “I was surprised to learn that the school did not decide to go ahead with the award. I think it would have helped a lot of students that need the extra money— besides working for four years will help gain experience.”