Le Moyne College Social Media Outlets Preferred Over College Website, While Website Still Gets More Views

Jonathan Willman uses Facebook
on his iPhone to ask how to book a
study room in the library on the Le
Moyne College Class of 2019 page.

Jonathan Willman uses Facebook on his iPhone to ask how to book a study room in the library on the Le Moyne College Class of 2019 page.

The Le Moyne College social media outlet’s accessibility has made it the preferred source of information over the college website, while the website gets more visits.

Director of Interactive Content, Michelle Tarby, said that the Le Moyne Facebook page received 2,032 page views last month, while the college website received 65,788. Tarby said that the website may get more page visits, but people are using the college’s social media outlets to get their information more, especially Facebook. Tarby said that the social media channels will get around 20 questions weekly. The website receives between 30 to 40 weekly.

“The stuff we get now from the inquiry form on the college website is very targeted,” said Tarby. “The stuff we see on social media is generally broader.”

She mentioned that people find it easier to get information via social media over the website. Cell phones let students access social media wherever they go, while the college website might take more time to find what they are looking for.

“You aren’t limited to the number of characters and you have a dedicated place to send a message,” Tarby said. “I like to think that they complement each other, not compete,” Tarby said comparing the website to social media outlets.

Sociologist professor and avid Twitter user Matt Loveland, said he believes social media’s accessibility is what is making people choose it over the website.

“It also feels more personal. When you’re filling out a random form on the internet, you don’t know where it’s going,” said Loveland. “You feel like if you send it to the Facebook page or the Twitter page, you hope there is someone monitoring that.”

Loveland said that social media’s ease of access is a major part in why people choose to use it to get information over meeting with faculty in person to get their answers. He says, “It’s harder to actually make the time to go and sit down in somebody’s office or even pick up the
phone than it is to quickly do it [use social media].”

Loveland explains that people might be able to get more information out of a phone call or an in-person conversation because those moments are, “synchronistic.” Even though people could get more information out of these type of interactions, he said they choose social media because it takes less time.

“Technology mediated communication is so efficient as far as time goes,” stated Loveland.

Le Moyne College junior Jonathan Willman said he did not even know that the Le Moyne website had a contact form.

“It’s just easier to go on the Facebook page and ask,” Willman said. “It’s a more familiar zone for me to operate in.”

Willman said that he trusts Facebook more because he knows people will see it. He feels that if he posts a question on the Le Moyne Facebook page, he will get some type of response from someone reliable fairly quick.

“If I don’t know how to book a study room in the library, for example, I can just ask on Facebook and someone will probably put up a link. It just saves me time.”

• Le Moyne College Social Media Outlets Preferred Over College Website, While Website Still Gets More Views

First Date: The Musical: a Must See at the PAC

Top 5 Films About Hollywood

Come See Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde at LeMoyne’s Performing Arts Center

The Most Anticipated Movies of October

Paul McCartney Brings Beatlemania to Syracuse

Emmy 2017 Predictions

It is Time to Say Goodbye, ‘Melo