Le Moyne Has Hiked Tuition 50 percent Over 10 Years

Le Moyne’s tuition has risen by 50 percent in the past 10 years, according to the college’s website. From just the 2005-06 school year to the 2016-17 school year, tuition has gone up $11,270. During the 2005-06 school year, the tuition was $20,770, and 2016-17 is at $32,040. Although the increase is true, the tuition that is announced on the Common Data Set is not what most students actually pay.

Le Moyne’s “Undergraduate Tuition Rate Per Student” chart shows that back in 2005-06, the average student only payed just over $10,000 per year instead of the initial $20,770, not including room and board. This is due to the amount of scholarship money given out to students, then topped off by any amount of financial aid one may receive. Later in 2016-17, the average student is paying around $15,000 instead of $31,260, not including room and board.

With room and board and required fees included, the total cost in 2005-06 jumps to $29,570. But in 2016-17, the room and board fee and required fees jumps the price to $46,000, an even steeper increase than that of 2005-06.

According to Roger Stackpoole, Senior Vice President of Finance, Enrollment, and Administration, room and board is increasing rapidly similarly to tuition because within the past several years, Le Moyne has made efforts to make the dorms higher quality. During the summer of 2016, parts of Dablon Hall were renovated and in the summer of 2017, Le Moyne plans to renovate Saint Mary’s Hall. “Over the long haul, the college noticed the residence halls were slipping,” said Stackpoole.

According to Stackpoole, the school could not make renovations if they did not charge more money to students.

The average cost for students at Le Moyne in terms of room and board are below or at the median with other similar schools such as Siena College, The College of Saint Rose, and Syracuse University, according to College Board.

Stackpoole claims one of the biggest factors in tuition increase is the salaries of staff and faculty. Roughly 50 percent of the school’s budget goes towards paying staff and faculty. Each year, staff and faculty receive a very small raise, but it still has an impact on the tuition increase.

“We do our best to have a very stable competitive compensation plan without overdoing it,” said Stackpoole.

Another significant reason that the tuition has increased is the technology additions, specifically wifi expansion. Before the expansion, there were many wifi dead zones around campus, much more than there are today. According to Stackpoole, Le Moyne recently invested in $550,000 just to strengthen the wifi connection around the campus.

Stackpoole said Le Moyne’s dining hall plays a role in tuition increase as well. Once the school started working with Sodexo, the tuition had to be upped. Before Sodexo came to Le Moyne, the dining hall was just an average dining hall. Now, students are able to go up to any given food station and interact with Sodexo workers, which is more expensive, adds Stackpoole.

Le Moyne pays Sodexo over $1.8 million each year for food services, according to an article from The Dolphin in the fall of 2016.

“Sodexo says that Le Moyne College tries to operate on the lowest gross margin on meal plans,” said Stackpoole.

“There are things we wish we could do,” added Stackpoole. “We are actively trying to find ways to make everybody happy.”

• Le Moyne Has Hiked Tuition 50 percent Over 10 Years

Top 10 Albums of 2017

First Date: The Musical: a Must See at the PAC

Top 5 Films About Hollywood

Come See Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde at LeMoyne’s Performing Arts Center

The Most Anticipated Movies of October

Paul McCartney Brings Beatlemania to Syracuse

Emmy 2017 Predictions