10 Things Donald Trump Said He’d Do As President of the United States

New York businessman turned politician Donald Trump has won the presidential election, and in the process had helped to solidify a social divide with his controversial campaign and elect. Now America, and the rest of the world, is waiting in anticipation to see what Trump will do once he officially steps into the White House as president.  Until January 20, 2016 and long after that, we’ll have no idea what the 45th president, confirmed racist, misogynistic reality TV star will actually do in office.

Despite his incomprehensible lack of knowledge of any policy detail, here are 10 things Trump has now said he will change from day one in the White House:

1. Build a “great, great wall” and make Mexico pay for it.

One of Trump’s most infamous promises is to build a wall across the border of the U.S. and Mexico to stop the flow of illegal immigration.

“When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best,” Trump said during his presidential announcement on June 16. “They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.”

The wall will protect citizens from Mexicans, who Trump says are “criminals, drug dealers, rapists, etc.”

Unfortunately, this statement is false with studies showing no evidence that immigrants commit more crimes than native-born Americans. In fact, a detailed report from the Center of Immigration Studies shows that first-generation immigrants actually have a 10 percent lower overall crime rate than native-born and second generation Americans.

The wall would potentially cost anywhere between 2.2 and 13 billion dollars, according to a BBC analysis estimate. Trump is planning on starting a trade war, and increasing fees and taxes for Mexican workers in the U.S. until Mexico gathers the funds to build the wall.

1. Temporarily ban all Muslims from entering the U.S.

On a similarly discriminatory note, Trump has called for a complete ban of Muslims entering the U.S. in wake of the terrorist attacks in California on December 2, 2015. With 14 people killed and 22 others seriously injured, Trump said he was “calling for a total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States until our country’s representatives can figure out what is going on.”

When accused of racism, Trump often protests loudly by saying in reality, he actually loves the group in question. Here, language is telling, as whenever he speaks of a minority group he uses the definitive article, “the,” as in, “the Hispanics,” “the Blacks,” and “the Muslims” to blur them into simple ethnicities.

“I love the Muslims. I think they’re great people,” Trump said after describing Muslim-America as a “problem” and claiming President Barack Obama was a Muslim himself, and not American. Although, you can be both Muslim and American….

1. Bring back waterboarding and other methods of torture.

Trump has vowed to bring back waterboarding, a form of torture that simulates drowning and is currently banned in the U.S. He also promised to bring back other forms of torture that are “a hell of a lot worse,” for strong interrogation techniques against the Islamic State Group.

“You bet your [ass] I would approve it, in a heartbeat,” Trump said in a presidential announcement. “I would approve more than that… because torture works. And even if it doesn’t work, they deserve it anyway for what they’ve done to us.”

1. Eradicate gun-free zones.

Gun-free zones, such as schools, are “bait to sickos,” according to Trump. “I will get rid of gun-free zones on schools, and on military bases,” he said at a rally in Burlington, Vermont. “My first day, it gets signed, okay? My first day. There’s no more gun-free zones.”

With a Republican-held Congress, Trump may be able to repeal the 1990 Gun Free School Zone Act signed by President George H.W. Bush. However, gun-free zones would still exist under state laws, according to Erika Lamb of Everytown for Gun Safety.

1. Get rid of the Common Core.

Trump recently said he “loves the poorly educated” because “we’re the smartest people and we’re the most loyal people.”

In order to try to reduce the country’s $19 trillion deficit, Trump said he’s going to start with cuts to education. According to Trump, the common core is a “disaster” and education should be localized. Unfortunately, without a mutually-agreed upon standard, education levels could drop in certain areas as teachers could be inclined to focus on lower-level learning that is easier to assess, according to the Association for Middle Level Education.

1. Ignore the global issue of climate change.

Trump has completely dismissed climate change, oftentimes referring to it as a “hoax” throughout his campaign. Trump tweeted, “The concept of global warming was created by and for the Chinese in order to make U.S. manufacturing non-competitive.”   

Trump said he plans to cut all federal spending on climate change and increase the number of coal factories in order to compete with China’s economy. This would save the U.S. billions of dollars and result in the reduced taxes that Trump also promised.

While Trump believes that maintaining clean air and water are important, he evidently values capitalism and the economy over the “Global warming hoax.”

“I do not believe that we should imperil the companies within our country,” he told CNN on the issue. “It costs so much and nobody knows exactly if it’s going to work.”

1. Repeal Obamacare. Well, kind of.

During his campaign Trump voiced some strong opinions on Obamacare, calling it a “disaster” and stating that it has put an incredible economic burden on this country. He said he would repeal Obamacare on day one in the Oval Office, opening up health care to the free market.

According to Trump’s Healthcare Reform to Make America Great Again, “No person should be required to buy insurance unless he or she wants to.” As a result, over 22 million Americans could be left without health insurance.

As of recently, Trump has changed his tune towards Obamacare. Having admitted to reporters that he only just Googled Obamacare on Friday November 11, Trump said he was surprised. “There was a lot in it that really made sense, to be honest.”

He told the Wall Street Journal he’d like to consider hanging onto popular provisions of Obamacare such as “the prohibition against insurers denying coverage because of patients’ existing conditions, and a provision that allows parents to provide years of additional coverage for children on their insurance policies.”

1. Punishing women who have abortions and doctors for administering abortions.

Trump said he is “pro-life” and not “pro-choice” in an interview with MSNBC. As for abortions, “They’re a very big problem,” he said. “We have to ban it.”

In the interview, Trump revealed that women should be punished for abortions if they were illegal, and asserts his position with support from the Catholic Church. He then said if a doctor were responsible, he or she should be punished as well.

1. Withdraw from the Trans-Pacific Partnership trade deal (TTP).

Trump promised that if elected, the U.S. would withdraw from this pact involving 12 nations: U.S, Japan, Malaysia, Vietnam, Singapore, Brunei, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Mexico, Chile, and Peru. The pact aims to deepen economic ties and relationships between nations, reducing tariffs to foster trade and improve growth for 40 percent of world trade.

However, Trump described these as “job-killing” policies and plans to drop out of the TTP along with the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) “on day one.” By increasing tariffs on trade with countries such as China, Trump will test America’s relations with them.

1.  “Make America great again.”

He never said how, and couldn’t say why, but I’m assuming he’ll fulfill this most important campaign promise once he steps foot into the White House.

• 10 Things Donald Trump Said He’d Do As President of the United States

The Most Anticipated Movies of October

Paul McCartney Brings Beatlemania to Syracuse

Emmy 2017 Predictions

It is Time to Say Goodbye, ‘Melo

Opinion

Through My Spectacles: Le Moyne Was Everything

Who’s The 2017 King of Hip-Hop?

Le Moyne Women’s Lacrosse extends win streak to 14