The situation: Le Moyne’s “Converted Rooms”

Rachel Chea ‘17, Photo Editor

By Rachel Chea ‘17
PHOTO EDITOR

This year Le Moyne welcomed the largest incoming class in its history with approximately 685 students. Associate Director of Campus Life and Leadership, Ann Bersani, said that they were “excited to welcome the Class of 2018.” She went on to state that, “Le Moyne is an incredible community, which is evidenced by the number of students who elected to come here.”

However, with this being the largest freshman class, and Le Moyne only having three freshman dorms, the question on everyone’s mind is: How are they going to fit all of those students in just 3 dorms?

Apparently, it was a challenge but in the end the staff and directors of Campus Life and Leadership were able to pull it off with the implementation of a number of converted rooms in all freshman dorms.

Although Campus Life and Leadership managed to successfully arrange the freshman class in the allotted dorms, one question still remains: Where and how is Le Moyne going to house not only this freshman class but also the current sophomore class in the upcoming years?

“We have recently added upper-class housing space on campus, with the addition of the New Townhouses and the renovation of the ground floor of Foery,” revealed Bersani. She is confident “both of these spaces will be quite popular for upper-class students moving forward.”

For the past three years, the size of each new incoming class is bigger than the last. Many students living on campus find this fact troubling considering the lack of appropriate housing arrangements. However, Bersani reassured that Le Moyne is “setting goals for the Class of 2019,” and that “housing occupancy is part of an overall enrollment strategy.”

When asking freshman about their concerns over housing issues, freshman Izzy Whitehead stated that she was “disappointed because school is expensive as it is and now you get crammed with two other girls.”

Freshman Molly Spinek thought “it was unfair that we only got 15% off tuition,” or the cost of room and board. She thought more should have been taken off for being assigned to a converted room.

While Whitehead and Spinek were discontented by their rooms, freshman Riley McGuiggan said, “At first I was nervous about the space and about sharing a room with not only one, but two other people. But if I don’t like or don’t get along with one of my roommates, there’s always the other one.”

All freshmen assigned to converted rooms were notified before they moved in. However, the image of a college dorm room was much different in their heads than what they faced on Move-in Day.

Spinek said she “was nervous because first of all: I never shared a room and when I saw it I thought it was kind of tiny, so it was a little frustrating.”

McGuiggan on the other hand “felt like it was alright. We did the best we could to arrange the room. It’s not preferable but it’s do-able.”

Many think freshmen would be the only class with an opinion on their converted room situation, but a lot of upperclassman have shared their thoughts too. When asked how she would react to being in a converted room if she were a freshman, sophomore Madeline Warren stated, “I would be really overwhelmed, especially it being your first year. Also, converted rooms don’t have three of everything, so it may have been awkward to figure out who gets what, especially if you don’t know each other. ”

To a certain extent, Junior Gabrielle Zumpano had the same view as Warren. “I would definitely be angry but it’s something out of my [her] control.” Zumpano went on to say, “You didn’t chose to come to Le Moyne for the convenient housing, you came for the education.”