Campus Sodexo employee arrested during raid of suspected meth lab

Aubrey Zych, Editor-in-Chief

On Friday, Feb. 22, Madison County police charged a Sodexo employee that worked in the campus cafeteria with third-degree unlawful manufacture of methamphetamine.

Miranda Seeber, 30, was the third arrest after the Madison County Sheriff’s SWAT team raided a Sullivan town trailer they believed to be used as a methamphetamine lab last Monday, Feb. 17. On Monday, Ryan E. Carman, 33, and Mark R. Owens, 28, the two owners of the trailer, were arrested on the scene.

Carman and Owens were charged with third-degree unlawful manufacture of methamphetamine. Carman was also charged with a count of criminal possession of a controlled substance. Seeber was charged with third-degree unlawful manufacture of methamphetamine, along with three counts of possession of a controlled substance. Police said Monday that Owens was in possession of large amounts of heroin and methamphetamine. Carman was also in possession of a large amount of heroin, marijuana, and various medications that were not prescribed to him.

Seeber was arraigned in the town of Sullivan court Friday and released without bail, to return to answer to her charges at a later date. Owens and Carman were arraigned in the town of Sullivan court Monday, and are being held at the Madison County Correction Facility at $50,000 cash bail, or $100,000 bond.

Le Moyne students took to social media about the arrest, posting Breaking Bad memes, words of utter shock, and even words of encouragement and support for Seeber, hoping it is all just a misunderstanding.

The twitter trend #FreeMiranda began trending Sunday evening, and reached over 300 tweets in just three days. Tweets with the hashtag ranged from poking fun at the Sodexo employee using the hashtag sarcastically, while others were posted with high hopes that she would be found innocent and could return to work.

The most popular tweet, according to the Twitter analytics site, topsy.com, was Alex Breitenstine’s, who tweeted “All hail the king #freemiranda” attached with a photo of Seeber’s face photoshopped on to a photo of the fictional character, Walter White, in a Breaking Bad promotional advertisment. The tweet and photo were spread across the Twitter-sphere over 50 times. The anonymous student-run accounts, LMC Probz and LMC Confessions, accounts that posts jokes about student life at the college, also posted the hashtag, receiving numerous retweets.

For now, the details of Seeber’s involvement remain uncertain for the student body and surrounding community. The Dolphin will update the campus community as more details become available.