Navigating College Stress: Effective Strategies and Le Moyne Resources for Student Well-being
Mai Aljanabi, Staff Writer • September 27, 2023

College life presents unique challenges and stressors for students, impacting their mental well-being and overall success. This article delves...

via The Huntington
Persistence Into Brilliance: Le Moyne Graduate and Actor Makes Major Mark
Kamilla Shahzad, Staff Writer • September 26, 2023

In the world of theater, Le Moyne College graduate John Douglas Thompson is known to possess an exceptional ability to captivate audiences, effortlessly...

via newbaseballmedia.com
Le Moyne Alum and MLB Star Josiah Gray Nominated for Roberto Clemente Award
Michael Scalise, Staff Writer • September 25, 2023

Here at Le Moyne, the phrase “Greatness meets Goodness” is at the very foundation by which the school stands, and it is safe to say that...

Career Advising & Development at Le Moyne
Carly Nicolai, Editor in Chief • September 18, 2023

“What do you want to do with your degree?” It’s a question many college students have heard before, whether it comes from friends and...

Growing Sunshine-Colored Flowers: Remembering Father Bosch
Stephanie R. Duscher, Staff Writer • September 16, 2023

Many Le Moyne students have likely walked by the lovely gardens outside the Jesuit Residence–a beautiful touch of color amidst the many cloudy...

Dolphins Abroad: Alpha Phi Leicester

When deciding on my housing options for my new school, my primary concern was having a roommate. Everything else was arbitrary. As it happened, I lucked out more than possibly imaginable.

Tucked right in front of Leicester’s primary residence areas is the Ashcroft house, which doesn’t look like much from the outside but has quickly proven to be the prime spot to live for a semester.

The house itself contains three stories of living, which contains 12 rooms. But even with all of the available space to spread out in, all of us have become friendly in a short amount of time. A big plus with this house – aside from the sheer size – is to live with students who are on such diverse  academic paths.

My next door neighbor, for example, is a 27-year old Canadian law student. Similar to Le Moyne’s housing setup, students of similar years live together with the occasional older or younger student sprinkled in. Here, being 20 years old puts me right in the middle of the pack age-wise.

There are some stereotypical pieces in Ashcroft that seem to occur in every housing situation, as one of the British “freshers” is currently in the first floor lobby showing off his amatuer DJ skills. And last night, one of our friends who lives in another building nearby, cooked a phenomenal Taiwanese dish native to his homeland. This meal was prepared using one of Ashcroft’s crown jewels: the full kitchen. With this many people in the house, the three refrigerators and full stove accompanied by a supply closet of plates and cutlery are being used to their maximum potential.

Surrounding the makeshift dinner table that night were 18 lads representing Romania, Canada, Great Britain, India, Taiwan, Czech Republic, Jamaica and China. Oh, and America. For half of those eating, English is not the primary language, but despite the dialect variations, we all understood exactly what the other was saying.

That dinner wasn’t the only catalyst for a big realization I’ve come across since being here, but it served as a tipping point. The English language is truly beautiful. Aside from a few British kids, no two people use their words in the same way.

Yet, despite all the disconnect that should exist, there is not a shred to be found. Maybe it’s the combination of most of us being in the same travel-honeymoon period, but come the term’s end 10 weeks from now, Ashcroft’s lingual foundation will undoubtedly be as firm as it is currently.

At the end of the day, we’re all college students on a our own independent journeys, and this is just a small step of that. But while we are all sharing this common living space, Ashcroft is certainly being put to great use. Walking in last night to find the dinner table full of empty cans and bottles is a stereotypical college scenario, but having everything looking fresh before noon was a positive sign for the future.

Ashcroft is the envy of all who come in for a visit, and we intend on keeping it that way. Both in matters of entertainment and of sanitization.