SGA presses on despite leadership change

Marc Murdoch '14, News and Features Editor

This past Wednesday, Aug. 28, The Le Moyne Student Government Association [SGA] met for the first time this semester to discuss plans for the upcoming year and make revisions to current leadership positions within the group.

According to Le Moyne’s website, the SGA is “responsible for initiating or being consulted on general student-life legislation, judicial procedures, residence hall policy and the selection of candidates for many administrative offices.” The group consists of a council made up of a president, vice-president, speaker of the house, secretary, comptroller and representatives of each class and other groups, such as LSPB and Residence Hall Association.

However, this semester did not come without a few obstacles for SGA to overcome first. The elected president, senior Kathleen McCarthy, had to step down from her position because of other requirements placed upon her this year. As written in their constitution, the vice president, fellow senior Allison Herholtz, has stepped up to the vacant position as president; and the former speaker of the house, Colleen Fagan, a junior, has been named the interim vice president.

Fagan’s position as vice president is only temporarily, until the results of the election for the new vice president are announced later this week.

Elections for freshman representatives will take place on Wednesday, Sept. 12.

According to Fagan, this semester SGA plans to continue with proposals to revise the lighting in the parking lot behind Harrison and St. Mary’s dorms, as well as potentially adding another walkway by Reilly Hall to promote better ease of walking in the area.

The group also plans to continue their events from last Veterans Day, including awareness events and having students write encouraging and thankful notes to veterans of past wars.

Those who wish to know more about SGA and its proceedings may sit in on the meetings, Wednesday nights at 9 p.m. in Grewen 101.