Student Government Association plans for a full semester

Andreya Matthew, Staff Writer

Members of the Student Government Association [SGA] sat down on Wednesday, Feb. 6 for their weekly meeting to sort out several events, ideas and issues for the spring semester.

Members also discussed other upcoming events, including the SGA bingo nights at the Pub on Saturday, Feb. 23, Wednesday, March 13 and Saturday, April 27. Wine slushies and mocktails will be served at each event. Members also decided SGA will make an appearance at the Le Moyne Relay for Life event on Feb. 22.

The SGA Vice President, Jules Shelton, senior, says the event is the perfect opportunity for the SGA to make help out a great cause.

“I’m really looking forward to having a large group of our SGA supporting the Colleges Against

Cancer’s Relay For Life on the 22nd to raise money for a terrible disease that so many people have been affected by,” she said.

In addition to the event planning, SGA moderator, John Haley, has been working with the Le Moyne Plaza managers in hopes of getting more involvement between students and Cam’s and Dunkin’ Donuts. Therefore, Cam’s and Dunkin’ Donuts will give a 20 percent discount to Le Moyne students if they hold an event at the Plaza and a 10 percent discount if the event is held on campus. The bookstore will also give a 20 percent discount if a student organization uses the bookstore to order club merchandise. Security will also be making more rounds to the Plaza during the day and at night to ensure students’ safety.

Members also brought up the idea of forming a letter campaign to the Syracuse city officials to ask that the light on Salt Springs Road be fixed.

“I think SGA looking at a letter campaign to fix the lighting on Salt Springs Road is critical because a student was mugged at gunpoint there,” Palmer said. SGA plans to turn the letter writing campaign into an event where students would get a reward like free ice scrapers or apparel, in exchange for writing a letter. Lastly, representative for class of 2013 Shaneeke Bascoe, proposed providing a New York City bus for spring break, which would make it easier for students who live in the city to go home and return to Le Moyne during the break. More information about the bus will be provided soon.

For more information about SGA events, issues on campus and how to get involved, visit the website at lemoyne.campusgroups.com/SGA/about.