Cheers and Jeers – 03.13.2014

Dan 'Buddah' Snyder, Cheers and Jeers Writer

Excuse me as I have a senior moment, but this semester is really flying by. Scratch that. These last four years have been flying by. It seems like just yesterday that I was marching into James Commons for Accepted Students Day and signing into smelly Nelly. Now I’m filling out applications for jobs and just ordered my cap and gown. So to you underclassmen, enjoy this crazy ride we call college while it lasts. You will be in our shoes soon and want to start all over. As for you seniors, take advantage of the time you have left at Le Moyne, and if you start to think about life after being a dolphin, just take a minute and try not to cry… too much.

Cheer of the Week: To St. Patrick’s Day

I’m a few days early, but since we will not be around Le Moyne due to spring break, I better say something now. If you’re Irish, it’s a day to feel proud about your heritage. If you’re not? You can pretend you are and celebrate with everyone else in the traditional fashion: drinking – responsibly, of course. Everyone gets along with enemies becoming friends and friends becoming better friends.

I like to think of it as a warm up for Dolphy Day. Our tribute to St. Patrick usually signifies the unofficial start of spring, but with the weather the way it’s been lately, it might be a little tough to get in the spirit. So fire up the eggs, tap open the kegs and wear as much green as you possibly can.

Jeer of the Week: Jeers to test schedules

It’s one thing to complain about midterms and finals, because I know I’m not alone in hating them. No one likes to cram at the end of the semester needing that A- just to pass the class. I’m complaining about how professors seem to have some sort of test scheduling telepathy.

All throughout the semester, tests and projects come and go. Some of which conflict with each other but we’re in college, we can handle it. But what about when something like spring break comes along and teachers decide to collectively destroy our hopes of freedom for a week by scheduling everything simultaneously?. I talked to one friend who has three presentations, a paper and two exams. Makes my one exam seem like a one-page paper on napping.

Do professors hold meetings and stack everything on top of each other on purpose? Personally, I feel bad for them because they have to grade everything, too.

Cheers to daylight savings time

Last fall, I jeered Daylight Savings Time. Yes, we gained an hour of sleep, but for what, one night? It wasn’t worth losing countless hours of daylight that led to more nights below freezing than ever before. This is the ultimate sign that spring is coming. I’m willing to sacrifice losing an hour of sleep in order to spend more time outdoors. Let’s just hope the weather finally starts to improve so we don’t freeze in the process. More often than not people get depressed when the sun is setting at four in the afternoon. Now we can sit outside enjoying the sunshine at four in the afternoon – even though we live in Syracuse where the sun never shines. So if you haven’t set your clocks an hour forward, you’re already way behind as Sunday at 2 a.m. marked the turnover.

Jeers to Aaron Herandez

Now for those of you who don’t know, Aaron Hernandez was a Tight End for the New England Patriots of the NFL. During the summer of 2013, Hernandez was arrested on charges of murder against Odin Lloyd. Obviously, a murder investigation is not an easy process for anyone to endure, but don’t you think Aaron would want to go through with it with little to no difficulties?

So did we. But Aaron decided to add some excitement to the case. In the past month, the former Patriot was charged with assault and battery on a defenseless inmate while held in Bristol County Jail in southeastern Massachusetts. Now the charges were filed as misdemeanor offenses, but this surely doesn’t look good on a track record for someone attempting to clear his name of any major crimes. I’m just happy I got rid of his jersey.

• Cheers and Jeers – 03.13.2014

Top 10 Albums of 2017

• Cheers and Jeers – 03.13.2014

First Date: The Musical: a Must See at the PAC

• Cheers and Jeers – 03.13.2014

Top 5 Films About Hollywood

• Cheers and Jeers – 03.13.2014

Come See Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde at LeMoyne’s Performing Arts Center

• Cheers and Jeers – 03.13.2014

The Most Anticipated Movies of October

• Cheers and Jeers – 03.13.2014

Paul McCartney Brings Beatlemania to Syracuse

• Cheers and Jeers – 03.13.2014

Emmy 2017 Predictions

• Cheers and Jeers – 03.13.2014

• Cheers and Jeers – 03.13.2014

• Cheers and Jeers – 03.13.2014

Cheers and Jeers – 03.13.2014